MM
Posted By
Martin_Magid
Oct 2, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I try to scan , Photoshop CS2 does not recognize my Epson 1680 scanner when I try to Import. I have to open the scanner in my hard drive, scan as a TIFF, then drag the resulting TIFF image to Photoshop, where I change it to .psd. Also, When I want to change a file from .psd, it
will not let me change it to a .jpg file and "Save for Web" is also grayed out. I’m not sure, but these defects may have started when I upgraded my Mac OS from 10.5.3 to 10.5.4.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

R
Ram
Oct 2, 2008
If you’re generating 16-bit scans, SFW and JPEG will NOT be available in CS2 because the JPEG format does NOT support 16 bits. Convert to 8-bit first.

CS3 and CS4 do the conversion on the fly.

It’s not efficient to scan from within Photoshop in any event. You’re just tying up Photoshop while you scan, which is not done by Photoshop anyway, but by the scanning application, launched through the scan TWAIN plug-in.
MM
Martin_Magid
Oct 2, 2008
Ramon, I tried scanning a color negative at 24-bit, and it did allow me to convert it to .jpg, but not Save for Web. Before this situation began, if I Imported and scanned at 48 bits I would get a warning that some applications do not support 48-bit, but it would proceed with the operation. Now, it won’t even let me Import. Also, I think it’s more efficient to Import through Photoshop to begin the scan. It takes more operations to do it the way I described in my first message.
R
Ram
Oct 2, 2008
Also, I think it’s more efficient to Import through Photoshop

You’re on your own then, Martin. Good luck.
CB
charles badland
Oct 2, 2008
…does not recognize my Epson 1680 scanner…

…"Save for Web" is also grayed out…

Dollars to doughnuts you’ve moved your Photoshop application out of its folder. Put it back.

Photoshop needs to be in the Photoshop folder, which in turn needs to be in the main Applications folder.
MM
Martin_Magid
Oct 2, 2008
Charles, tell me where to send the dollar (or the doughnut, but no warranty on it). You were right. I followed your instructions and now everything is back in place.

Interestingly, before I acted on your message I took the problem to my local Apple Store, about 2 miles away, and they said the problem was that my iMac does not support CS2. They said that if I wanted to scan right from Photoshop, I would have to upgrade to CS3, which is supported by iMac. After that visit I came home and checked where Photoshop was — out of its folder.

Thanks, and best wishes,

Marty
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Oct 3, 2008
The Apple store was not necessarily misleading you. They were simply noting that CS2 was not designed for a Mac running on an Intel processor. As such, we may experience oddities with the older software. Recognizing that software is running with the aid of an emulator (Apple’s Rosetta on Intel) is often a first step in troubleshooting.

This, of course, is another issue outside of your moving the Photoshop application – but it is still a consideration for future troubleshooting. You may find performance improvements and less quirks if you upgrade to a version of CS that was written for Intel and Leopard.
CB
charles badland
Oct 3, 2008
Marty,
Glad it was a simple fix. My preference is Starbucks Old Fashioned Chocolate… 🙂
MM
Martin_Magid
Oct 3, 2008
Charles, due to the difficulties of transmission, I’ll have one for you on my next visit.

Marty

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections