Save for Web now greyed out (CS using Panther)

WN
Posted By
Walt_Nixon
Apr 3, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Save-for-web was working fine until I started saving a lot of digital photos from a CD, to repurpose for web and now that feature is greyed out. I trashed Preferences and even re-intstalled (I’m talking CS on Panther here), but still can’t resolve the issue. VERY FRUSTRATED!

Thanks anyone for pointers—

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

WN
Walt_Nixon
Apr 3, 2004
Help please!
GP
Graham_Phillips
Apr 3, 2004
Are any other features missing from the Photoshop menu? For example, is Help->Photoshop Help… available? What about the Filter menu?
Z
Zeb
Apr 3, 2004
Mark Hiers "Save for Web Greyed Out or Unavailable" 11/8/01 4:46pm </cgi-bin/webx?50>

Delete Adobe Save For Web 8.0 Prefs in users/username/lib/prefs/
WN
Walt_Nixon
Apr 3, 2004
I tried this and it didn’t help. In fact after restarting Photoshop, it would never create a new Adobe Save For Web 8.0 Prefs file. i then deleted Photoshop pref and restarted. Still no new Adobe Save For Web 8.0 Prefs was created. So, once again I reinstalled and still having the same issue. Can’t save for web. Everything else seems to be working correctly though.
Hmmm?
Z
Zeb
Apr 3, 2004
Do you have the save for web plug in installed? Are you using a mode that supports S4W? 8 bit RGB? Link < http://www.usefilm.com/photo_forum/14/4215/Photoshop_-_Save_ for_Web_option_-_missing_.html>
WN
Walt_Nixon
Apr 4, 2004
Yes, Save for Web 8.0 plugin is in my Plug-Ins/Adobe Photoshop Only/ Import/Export directory along with Paths to Illustrator plugin. What’s may be a clue of some kind though is when I open Photoshop>About Plug-In menu, the Paths to Illustrator shows up in the list but the Save for Web does not?! And yes, image mode is 8bit RGB. Not sure what else to do???
R
Ram
Apr 4, 2004
Is the file perhaps way too large to allow a Save for Web? Too many layers?

Just shooting in the dark.
WN
Walt_Nixon
Apr 4, 2004
File size seems irrelevant. In fact I can create a 320X240 new file at 72 dpi, 8 bit RGB, add a simple black box and try and Save for Web and it won’t work!
WN
Walt_Nixon
Apr 4, 2004
Is there a way for me to get a fresh copy of Save for Web 8.0 plugin other than trying to re-install? By the way, I have re-insatlled a couple of times but not sure which files are getting updated or replaced, and since I can’t actually browse the CD, I have no sure way of knowing if the plugin file is getting replace on re-install. When I do a "Get Info" on the Save for Web 8.0 plugin file (which DOES exist in my Photoshop Only/ImportExport directory) it shows file size of 4.4 MB, Created Sunday October 12, 2003, Modified Tuesday February 17, 2004. Not sure if any of this is useful info but just thought I’d toss that out there!

Thanks everyone for your input!
R
Ram
Apr 4, 2004
Walt,

If I were in your situation, I’d trash the entire Photoshop folder (saving any custom stuff you may have added manually, like actions and 3rd party plug-ins) and all Photoshop preferences files, then install Photoshop from scratch. It’s a good idea to Repair Permissions before and after the installation.
WN
Walt_Nixon
Apr 4, 2004
Okay, but, can you give anymore insight to what "repairing permissions" means, please? I have Tech Tool Pro 4, but not that adept on what to do with it. Is that somehthing that might come in handy? I have used it before to create an e-drive from which to run tests on the OS volume but if you could elaborate more on repairing permissions, I’d appreciate it.

Thanks!
R
Ram
Apr 4, 2004
Walt,

You Repair Permissions with Apple’s own OSX’s "Disk Utility".

It’s routine maintenance you should perform regularly, as well as running the Cron scripts. If you don’t let your machine run 24/7, then you should use a third party utility like Cocktail to perform the latter task (which is otherwise performed by OS X itself in the middle of the night), or both tasks if you desire.

Since you were not familiar with Repairing Permissions, it’s possible that you don’t perform routine maintenance. I’d suggest you get David Pogue’s Missing Manual. You should repair permissions before and after installing any new software,
R
Ram
Apr 4, 2004
Oh, and forget Tech Tools, at least for now.
R
Ram
Apr 4, 2004
One more thing, Walt. I read the following in your original post:

… I started saving a lot of digital photos from a CD …

If that means copying the images, that’s OK. But if you were first opening the images on the CD and then doing a "Save As" to your local drive, then DON’T. Copy the closed file to your HD first, then you can open it locally on your HD.

If you were using the former procedure, you may well have files that are funky and that could be why they don’t want to be Saved for Web.
WN
Walt_Nixon
Apr 4, 2004
Resolution – finally! Thanks Ramón, I did what you suggested, trashing the entire Photoshop directory and entire Photoshop CS Settings directory, repaired permissions before and after, re-installed. Looks like I’m back in business.

Thanks Again,

Walt
R
Ram
Apr 4, 2004
Glad it worked, Walt. Thanks for getting back to us.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections