DM
Posted By
Dave_Moench
May 21, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have approximately 90 photos open in the file browser function of Elements. I am able to scroll and look at each picture and rearrange. This is great. The images are in JPEG format. I need to get the files burnt to a CD, but first I need to resize the pictures so that when the user opens the JPEG file, the pictures are not shown as extremely large pictures which is what happens when I try to open the picture. Can I select all images and perform a mass resize so I don’t have to go in and do it to each one individually?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

RR
Raymond Robillard
May 21, 2004
In Photoshop Elements 2, try File / Batch processing… You’ll find all sorts of option to resize pictures in batch.

Ray
JH
Jim_Hess
May 21, 2004
Under the File menu, choose Batch Processing. That will enable you to do what you are looking for. If you need help understanding the process, check with the Photoshop Elements online help.
DM
Dave_Moench
May 21, 2004
Thank you for your help.

I see the online help page that lists various topics and information. Is there a website to go to for online person to person help from an adobe elements advisor as well?

Thanks
JH
Jim_Hess
May 21, 2004
Not that I am aware of. However, when you set up a batch resizing process, you designate the source folder and the destination folder. When the batch process is finished, you will have your new resized pictures in addition to your originals that will still be intact and unmodified. So don’t be afraid to experiment. If you don’t like the results, just delete the new resized images and try again. It isn’t going to hurt anything. And you will know a lot more than you do now. Plus, I think you will discover that this forum is probably your best resource because there are quite a few very knowledgeable people who are willing and anxious to help you.
JD
jim_deluco
May 21, 2004
PSE seems to have rather limited batch capabilities. You may want to purchase something like ThumbsPlus by Cerious (www.cerious.com). I use it for all my batch work and alot of other things, like customized printing, web wizard, image stamping, etc.
JH
Jim_Hess
May 21, 2004
I agree that batch processing is somewhat limited in Photoshop Elements. But the question that was asked was what could be done using Elements. Elements by itself is a very good photo editor that does have some limited capabilities when compared with Photoshop and a host of other programs that can be purchased. But I have found that I haven’t even come close to pushing Photoshop Elements to its limits. And we can suggest purchasing additional software, and add-ins, and scripts, and filters, and actions, and the list just keeps growing.

I was doing some experimenting this morning using the batch process to resize three TIF images and convert them to JPEG images. The first two attempts didn’t give me the results I needed. So I just simply deleted the output files from the output folder and tried again. It took four attempts before I got what I wanted, but that was mainly because I didn’t know what I was doing. But the process did work very smoothly.

But, you are right. There are other programs available that make things much easier. I have Photoshop CS on my home computer as well. It is very easy to get spoiled using that program. But this morning I decided to try this little batch process just using Photoshop Elements. And I still think Photoshop Elements provides an awful lot of value when you compare prices. Having said that, I certainly would not want to give up Photoshop CS.
DM
Dave_Moench
May 21, 2004
Thank you for your insight. I will definitely be back to this forum in the future.
JD
jim_deluco
May 22, 2004

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections