R
Posted By
RChase
Nov 3, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just bought a 24" iMac with a 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 4 GB of RAM. I used the migration assistant to transfer all of my programs from my old (very old) 800 MHz iMac. Everything works fine except for Photoshop 7.0 and Image Ready. I try to start Photoshop and the logo screen comes up and it doesn’t get any further than "Reading preferences…" and I get "An unexpected and unrecoverable problem has occurred because of a program error. Photoshop will now exit."

I have tried deleting the preferences, didn’t help. I tried repairing permissions, didn’t help. I tried reinstalling from the disk, didn’t help. I tried reinstalling in Safe Mode, didn’t help. I am partially cross-eyed from scouring the web trying to find ANYTHING that remotely resembles my problem, to no avail. Can anyone help me out?? PLEASE!!!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

JJ
Jim_Jordan
Nov 3, 2008
Search this forum for Photoshop 7 compatibility and Leopard/Intel.

It is not good news.
B
Buko
Nov 3, 2008
Well this is covered in the FAQs.

bottom line is Photoshop 7 will not work with Leopard. You will need to buy the new version CS4. To add insult to injury you are no longer in the upgade path and you will need to pay full price for CS4.
R
RChase
Nov 3, 2008
That really isn’t what I was hoping to hear!!! That sucks!! Thanks for giving me the heads up though. I certainly appreciate it.
JM
J_Maloney
Nov 3, 2008
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SheepShaver>

I don’t know whether it works or not, but if you have a 9.0x install, you might be able to get PS7 up and running.
R
RChase
Nov 3, 2008
Here’s another quick question, can I upgrade to Photoshop CS3 from 7.0?
JM
J_Maloney
Nov 3, 2008
Supposedly, and there were Amazon listings recently. Be careful buying versions of old software online. There’s a lot on these forums about that too.
R
RChase
Nov 3, 2008
Really? What should I look out for?
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Nov 3, 2008
The last time I checked, SheepShaver only goes up to OS 9.0.4 (before Apple made changes to the way memory is handled) – – which I don’t think is enough for PS7. I run PS 5.5 on it.

Really? What should I look out for?

Pirated versions or those that are already registered/activated.
B
Buko
Nov 3, 2008
If you can find an upgrade to CS3 at a local retailer that will be your best bet.

I just called MacPac I buy all my gear from them they have an upgrade to CS3 extended it is $349. They have one left.

They are here in Portland Oregon.

contact page <http://www.macpac.com/contact.htm> I spoke with Thomas, he has it at his desk.
R
RChase
Nov 3, 2008
Wow. Thanks Buko. I’m going to check out my local Mac guy before I follow that lead, but it’s appreciated. You really went above and beyond!!!
R
RChase
Nov 3, 2008
You it just occurred to me that I may be screwed no matter what. I upgraded to 7.0 from 6.0. I can’t upgrade from an upgrade, can I???
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Nov 3, 2008
You sure can.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Nov 3, 2008
Indeed you can "upgrade from an upgrade" — but, in your case, (as others have already stated) it is a CS3 Upgrade that you need.
R
RChase
Nov 3, 2008
Whew, that’s good to hear. I didn’t think I could. You all are the best!!
B
Buko
Nov 3, 2008
Well don’t wait too long at least give the guy a call and tell him you don’t need it.
R
RChase
Nov 4, 2008
I’ve made an attempt to contact my guy and am waiting to hear back. He’s a decent guy who I have dealt with pretty extensively through my last employer. Not to mention he’s pretty close distance wise.

By midday tomorrow I’ll contact your guy either way. I appreciate your going out of your way for me and making that call. I still have to be frugal and do a bit of shopping around before I pull the trigger. I hope you can understand.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections