AU
Posted By
ant_upton
Nov 25, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I know that often the cry of ‘it was better before’ is heard with software upgrades, however it does seem as though some serious functionality has been lost. I can’t seem to turn on these features, so if they are options then can someone please point them out to me.

In the curves dialog I don’t seem to be able to pick/load a colour from the image being worked on with the colour picker – bad

The move to using the Alt key instead of the Apple/Cmd key as a modifier to select channels in the selective colour panal means that I can’t select white/neutral/black from the keyboard – bad

When selecting a layer with a mask it doesn’t turn on the layer if I click in the mask – seemed like if I want to select/work a mask I want to be able to see the effect on the picture, it worked in CS, why the change? – bad. Also for adjustment layers, click the mask, turn it on.

I mainly work on a laptop and HAVING to have the adjustment panel open is a right pain. Even if I close the panal down, if I create an adjustment layer, it automatically opens up. NOOOOO, really really bad.

There might be good reasons why the keystrokes have changed however can the legacy keystrokes be offered as an option in the preferences? Please, pretty please. Again, I’ve looked and can’t seem to find the option to reinstate the workflow which CS had.

Having had a moan, it would also be right to praise CS4 for the functionality it has added, some amazing stuff.

edited for idiocy and spelling.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CP
christoph_pfaffenbichler
Nov 25, 2008
To pick colors from the image in the Curves Adjustment Panel one needs to switch to the Eyedropper Tool (I) and command-click (the panel sharing focus with the rest of the surface it cannot usurp keyboard-shortcuts that are used elsewhere like the dialog can).
To flip between the points on the curve hit + and -, moving them as usual with the up- and down-arrow-keys.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Nov 25, 2008
In the curves dialog I don’t seem to be able to pick/load a colour from the image being worked on with the colour picker

Either use the I tool as Christoph suggested; or select the Pointy-Finger icon in the adjustment palettes.

The move to using the Alt key instead of the Apple/Cmd key as a modifier to select channels in the selective colour panel means that I can’t select white/neutral/black from the keyboard .

Indeed — only from the pop-up menu. You can get the other colors with Option 3 though 8.

When selecting a layer with a mask it doesn’t turn on the layer if I click in the mask – seemed like if I want to select/work a mask I want to be able to see the effect on the picture, it worked in CS, why the change?

Clicking on the Mask icon selects the Layer and targets the Mask for painting etc. Shift clicking, Option clicking and Shift Option clicking the Mask itself, works like they always have.

Also for adjustment layers, click the mask, turn it on.

SHIFT click the mask to turn it on or off. It’s always been like that.

I mainly work on a laptop and HAVING to have the adjustment panel open is a right pain. Even if I close the panal down, if I create an adjustment layer, it automatically opens up. NOOOOO, really really bad.

You need the Configurator.

Use it to create a single personalized panel that pops-out from an edge of your monitor on demand and turns all palettes on or off individually on the click of a button.

There might be good reasons why the keystrokes have changed however can the legacy keystrokes be offered as an option in the preferences?

For CS4 — yes. But you need to install the optional "UseOldShortcuts.plugin".

But that plug-in probably will not be included in future versions so it is probably wise to get used to the new shortcuts.
AU
ant_upton
Nov 25, 2008
Thanks very much for the replys.

In the curves dialog I don’t seem to be able to pick/load a colour from the image being worked on with the colour picker

Either use the I tool as Christoph suggested; or select the Pointy-Finger icon in the adjustment palettes.

Sorry when I said the colour picker, what I meant was double clicking the white sample tool. Double clicking that brings up the colour picker window, which can then be used to remove colour casts from the white objects and in turn black objects. (pick a colour you know to be white, tab to the a and b channels in LAB part of the window, type 0 hit enter/return then without moving the cursor, click in EXACTLY the same place and the colour cast has now gone). Actually I seem to have sorted that issue out ;-))

The move to using the Alt key instead of the Apple/Cmd key as a modifier to select channels in the selective colour panel means that I can’t select white/neutral/black from the keyboard .

Indeed — only from the pop-up menu. You can get the other colors with Option 3 though 8.

A retrograde step in my opinion – not the change of key strokes, it happens but to remove a function without offering a reasonable alternative is not good.

When selecting a layer with a mask it doesn’t turn on the layer if I click in the mask – seemed like if I want to select/work a mask I want to be able to see the effect on the picture, it worked in CS, why the change?

Clicking on the Mask icon selects the Layer and targets the Mask for painting etc. Shift clicking, Option clicking and Shift Option clicking the Mask itself, works like they always have.

All good info but it doesn’t turn on the layer, it requires an extra click to turn on the ‘eyeball’ – didn’t have to do that before, a pity, it would be good to have the option back.

Also for adjustment layers, click the mask, turn it on.

SHIFT click the mask to turn it on or off. It’s always been like that.

See above, it’s not about the mask but about the layer visibility

You need the Configurator.

Going to have a look at that, but it does seem strange that when a window is manually closed, that the programme thinks it knows better than me ;-(

Use it to create a single personalized panel that pops-out from an edge of your monitor on demand and turns all palettes on or off individually on the click of a button.

There might be good reasons why the keystrokes have changed however can the legacy keystrokes be offered as an option in the preferences?

For CS4 — yes. But you need to install the optional "UseOldShortcuts.plugin".

But that plug-in probably will not be included in future versions so it is probably wise to get used to the new shortcuts.

Yeah that’s true, so it makes sense that the programmers know that their decisions about workflow doesn’t work for everybody and so to keep options open as long as possible.

Thanks again for the info, there is lots to learn as a new user, but it is also good to pass info back up the line to the decision makers.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections