JM
Posted By
James_Mullins
Jun 7, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello everyone. I am relatively new to PE2. I think its a pretty cool program but alot harder to use than my previous software. However, I need help in printing 2 – 5 X 7 prints using the Picture Package feature. After printing 100 sheets of pictures taken at a friends’ wedding, I found that it was very difficult to put them into 2 wedding albums for prints 5 X 7. After spending more hours getting some of them to fix in, I measured the prints and they were 5 X 6 3/8 and not 5 X 7. Since, I could not find an answer to the problem either in the manual and other reference sources, I decided to simply print each picture on a single sheet. However, when I printed the second picture, I noticed that in print review that after I put in 5 for height and then put in the 7 for width, the number for height changed to 5.25. I checked the first print and it was indeed 5.25 X 7.

Please explain both how to get 5 X 7s to print correctly both using Picture Package and without. Many Many thanks for any help I can get. I am over a month late in getting the prints to the bride and groom. If no one can help, my other alternative is to cough up the $39 bucks and call Adobe.

James M

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

BG
Byron Gale
Jun 7, 2004
James,

The phenomenon you are seeing is caused by a difference between the aspect ratio of your original image and the 5×7 output size.

Most digicams use an aspect ratio of 4:3. A 5×7 image’s aspect ratio is ~4:2.28.

When you resize your image the way you describe, Elements will preserve the aspect ratio for you by either shortening the long dimension, or lengthening the short dimension, when you specify either one or the other.

If this didn’t happen, then your image would be distorted to fit the new aspect ratio, and things would look stretched or squashed.

To get exact 5×7 without distortion, you will have to crop part of your image. When I need to do this, I use the Rectangular Marquee tool, with its Style set to either Fixed Aspect Ratio or Fixed Size. Then I can drag out a selection which will exactly fit the desired aspect ratio, adjust placement for the individual image, and crop.

If you need more to get going, post back.

Byron
BG
Byron Gale
Jun 7, 2004
James,

I forgot to ask, did you really mean 6 3/8? I would have expected you to see 6 2/3.

Byron
DF
DUN_FERMLINE
Jun 7, 2004
To get two 5×7’s on one 8×10(or 8.5×11 sheet) write a new text file and place it in Program files/adobe/PE2/Presets/Layouts.
The text file should read
I 8 10
(2)5×7
0.5 0 7 5
0.5 5 7 5

I named mine’s FiveBySevens but you can name it what you like

The instructions to change layouts or add new ones can be found in PE2, Help,Index,Picture Package command, Customizing layouts.

I also wrote one to allow me to place a 5×7 and a 6×4 on one sheet. Jim D
JM
James_Mullins
Jun 8, 2004
Byron,

Thanks for your comments, but please explain how to set the Rectangular Marquee tool to either Fixed Aspect Ratio of Fixed Size.

James
JM
James_Mullins
Jun 8, 2004
Jim D,

Thanks for your comment, please explain how to write a new text file.

Thanks

James
JH
Jim_Hess
Jun 8, 2004
When you have the rectangular marquee tool selected, there is an associated toolbar that is displayed. There is an option box labeled "Style". I believe the default is Normal, but you can change the style to fixed. When you do this you can then specify the width and the height.

As far as writing a text file, if you are using a Windows computer, just open Notepad and type in the text and save it in the appropriate directory or folder.
BG
Byron Gale
Jun 8, 2004
Jim,

With regard to setting the Options for the Rectangular Marquee took… exactly what I would have said!!

Byron
JM
James_Mullins
Jun 9, 2004
Gentlemen,

I was a little brain dead yesterday and I think I am still there this morning. I was able to save the text file where indicated in layouts. My next question, which I could not find an answer to in the user guide manual, how do I select the newly created layout to insert the pictures I want to print.

Secondly, I have a another question regarding the Rectangular Marquee Tool. Once I set the Style option to Fixed and crop the picture, how do I drag or move the picture into the 5 X 7 layout with the picture correctly filling out the layout.

I apology for being not being too swift and I really appreciate all of your help.

Sincerely,
James
DF
DUN_FERMLINE
Jun 9, 2004
If you have the text file in the right location, when you open Layouts/picture package under File, your new text file will appear as one of the layout options.
Jim D
DF
DUN_FERMLINE
Jun 9, 2004
if you have the text file in the right location it will show up as an option under File/layouts/picture package then click on the layout option.
Jim D
JH
Jim_Hess
Jun 9, 2004
James,

After you have selected the area of your photograph using the marquee tool, just use the Edit/Copy command to copy the selection, then switch to the document where you want to place it, and then use the Edit/Paste command to paste the image. It will be put on its own layer and then you will be able to use the Move tool to position it precisely as you wish.

Jim
JM
James_Mullins
Jun 10, 2004
JimD

Using the notepad I put I 8 10
2) 5×7
0.5 0 7 5
0.5 5 7 5
into Progam Files/adobe/presets/layouts. I do see another 5X7 in the list. However, the prints are still not coming out at 5 X 7. I cannot determine what i did wrong.

Do you have any other suggestions.

Thanks

James
MS
Mark_Sand
Jun 10, 2004
James,
With the Rectangular Marquee Tool, note the difference between using Fixed Size and Fixed Aspect Ratio. For example, say the original picture is 8" X 11" and you want to crop a 5" X 7".

Using Fixed Size:
1. Enter in the Rectangular Marquee Tool boxes Width = 5 in and Height = 7 in (be sure to type the "in" or else it might default to pixels).
2. Click on the picture. The bounding box will appear which you can reposition with mouse or arrow keys. This box represents the 5" X 7" size which you cannot change.
3. Image -> Crop to perform the crop.

However this is probably not the result you are looking for. If your goal is to have a 5 X 7 picture filling up as much of the original as possible, use the Fixed Aspect Ratio instead:
1. Enter in the Rectangular Marquee Tool boxes Width = 5 and Height = 7 (no "in" this time).
2. Drag out on the picture the 5 X 7 bounding box. This is NOT in inches, but rather a box with the sides in the 5 X 7 ratio. You can reposition the box with mouse or arrow keys.
3. Image -> Crop to perform the crop, but we’re not done yet.
4. Image -> Resize -> Image Size, which brings up the Image Size menu.
Make sure the Constraint Proportions box is checked.
Enter Width 5 inches; Height will automatically change to 7 inches (or enter Height 7 and width will automatically change to 5). Click OK and you now have the 5" X 7".
MS
Mark_Sand
Jun 10, 2004
James,
Are you working on the assumption that Picture Package will automatically resize your picture to 5" X 7"? This is not the case; Picture Package merely provides a 5" X 7" placeholder for the image. If the dimensions are other than 5" X 7", Picture Package optimally adjusts the dimensions but retains the 5 X 7 aspect ratio so that the printed picture will not be 5" X 7". If you really want 5" X 7" you must crop the picture to exactly that size before applying the Picture Package.

Mark
JM
James_Mullins
Jun 10, 2004
Mark,

I was under the assumption that I was creating a custom package and that all I had to do was put in the picture and it would automatically print out exactly as a 5 x 7.

I use the steps that you suggested and I finally have the 5 x 7 I wanted.

Many thanks for taking the time in providing your assistance. It is greatly appreciated. You made my day. I will finally be able to give the couple their wedding pictures by this Saturday.

Peace,

James
JM
James_Mullins
Jun 10, 2004
Jim,

Would you mid sharing the text line for the package for 1-5×7 and 1-4×6. Do you also have a text line for 2-4×6 and also 1-8×10?

Thanks

James
MS
Mark_Sand
Jun 10, 2004
James,

Would you mid sharing the text line for the package for 1-5×7 and >
1-4×6. Do you also have a text line for 2-4×6 and also 1-8×10?

Using Picture Package for 1-5X7, 1-4X6, and 1-8X10 is overkill. A normal print of the cropped picture will accomplish the same thing. Also, if you go to File -> Print Preview you can resize the picture just for printing (the picture itself will not be permanantly changed).

You might also take a look at <http://www.geocities.com/roberthaus/print> which gives an alternative way of printing multiple pics on one page.
MS
Mark_Sand
Jun 10, 2004
James,

Would you mid sharing the text line for the package for 1-5×7 and >
1-4×6. Do you also have a text line for 2-4×6 and also 1-8×10?

Using Picture Package for 1-5X7, 1-4X6, and 1-8X10 is overkill. A normal print of the cropped picture will accomplish the same thing. Also, if you go to File -> Print Preview you can resize the picture just for printing (the picture itself will not be permanantly changed).

You might also take a look at <http://www.geocities.com/roberthaus/print> which tells another way of printing multiple pics on a page.
DF
DUN_FERMLINE
Jun 10, 2004
DID YOU TRY CROPPING THE IMAGES TO 5X7 PRIOR TO DOING THE PRINT LAYOUT. IF THE IMAGE IN NOT IN THE RATIO OF 5X7, PE2 WILL ADJUST AND YOU MAY END UP WITH 4 7/8 LIKE I DID INITIALLY. WHEN THEY ARE CROPPED CORRECTLY THEY WILL BUTT UP AGAINST EACH OTHER IN THE DISPLAY OF THE PICTURE PACKAGE PRIOR TO PRINTING.
JIM D.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections