BB
Posted By
Barbara_Brundage
Jun 10, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I know there are a bunch of you who read all the photographic stuff regularly and I’m hoping someone may remember this.

About a month or so ago, someone released a new low-cost collapsible soft box aimed at people who take ebay photos. It was made of a very thin nylon and was designed to be used in strong daylight more than with studio lighting. It was really cheap, about $25, and an odd rhomboid shape.

I thought I had bookmarked it and I can’t find it now. Does anybody happen to know what it was or who made it? I’ve googled like mad and found much interesting stuff, but not that one.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

GD
Grant_Dixon
Jun 10, 2004
Barbara

I think the link was a link Leen posted. I remembered it because I though it was a really great idea but have since lost the link.

Grant
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jun 10, 2004
Thanks, Grant. I’ll search that way.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jun 10, 2004
Barb, can you post the link when you find it ? 🙂 I will be sure to bookmark. Sounds like something I would like.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jun 10, 2004
If I ever find it, Jodi, I’ll be glad to. Tried searching with Leen’s name but he posts too much–it only went back to about the middle of last month. 8)

In the meantime, here are some ways you can do it yourself:

<http://www.creativepro.com/story/feature/19002.html>
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jun 10, 2004
well, that is a start. Thanks

also, you could put Leen’s name in lights to get his attention 😉
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jun 10, 2004
Barbara

I am not sure how much you want to pay for one but here is a link go a small one http://shop.store.yahoo.com/greenbatteries-store/eztabtoplig t.html

If you are only going to do occasional work dowels and muslin will be cheaper and certainly do the trick.

Grant
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jun 10, 2004
Barbara

This is the link I was talking about not sure if is the one you are thinking of
http://www.novoflex.de/english/html/products.htm
It was posted by Leen 02/04/2004.

Grant
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jun 10, 2004
Thanks, Grant! Wow, that is very cool, but it’s not the one I was looking for.

I didn’t think I had seen it here, but rather via a link on some photoshop-related site, like creativemac or something.

I appreciate your taking so much trouble.
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jun 10, 2004
Barbara

I would love to take credit about being so noble and altruistic in doing this search for you, but in truth once you posted it jogged my memory and I had to have the link for myself. So just like a typical man it was not all that chivalrous a search.

Grant
PA
Patti Anderson
Jun 10, 2004
Here’s a homemade one made from PVC pipe:

<http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/light_box>

Patti
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jun 10, 2004
I know I’ve already sent you the link earlier Barbara, but for the benefit of others, here’s what I use :

http://www.boothphoto.com/prod_detail.cfm?PRODSELECT=9&P AGESELECT=prod_detai l_data.cfm

…or the tinyurl form : http://tinyurl.com/35lm8

Ray
DS
Dick_Smith
Jun 11, 2004
Ray,

Do you know, off hand, whether Booth exports to the US?

Dick
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jun 11, 2004
Dick, I’ve checked all the usual resources and I couldn’t find any dealers here.
DS
Dick_Smith
Jun 11, 2004
Thanks Barbara,

May try and email them just to see.

Dick
LK
Leen_Koper
Jun 11, 2004
It is pretty easy to create your own light box with some white sheets. I’ve done that several times before when had to record the antique silver of our municipal museum. Just remember, for shiny objects, don’t use an internal frame as it will reflect in the objects.

The easiest way however for non shiny objects is to wait for an overcast day. When it is very cloudy, the sky is the largest and most evenly lighting lightbox one can imagine. Whenever possible I use daylight.

Another easy way is to hang this bedsheet from one or two knots in the centre to the branch of a tree or something else and spread it out on the bottom side over the sides of a table. The lighting of your object will be very even.

You don’t really need any sophisticated equipment to do the job; often simple solutions will do and morover, the more you improvise, the better the understanding of what you really are doing.

Leen
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jun 11, 2004
Dick

No, I don’t know if they sell to other countries. But I’d assume they do, however. We’re exporting a lot of stuff (Celine Dion, le Cirque Du Soleil, Shanya Twain…) and as charming as they are, those are far less handy than a portable light box… 😉

Ray
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jun 11, 2004
Hi, Leen. Thanks. Unfortunately, I need to track down the manufacturers of that particular box, so I’ll have to keep looking. Darn, I wish I could remember where I saw the link.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jun 11, 2004
Ray, 🙂

what a way with words you have ! Oh, you forgot the Labatt Blue 😉
DS
Dick_Smith
Jun 11, 2004
I don’t know, Ray. le Cirque Du Soleil makes me wonder if they are really human. They do things with their bodies that just aren’t supposed to happen.!
DS
Dick_Smith
Jun 11, 2004
Oh, you forgot the Labatt Blue 😉

And that would definitely by a worthwhile adjunct for any lightbox!

Dick
LK
Leen_Koper
Jun 11, 2004
It might be this website:
<http://www.lastolite.com/>

Look for the Cubelight.
This company is UK based, but it is for sale in the USA as well: Bogen Photo Corporation
565 East Crescent Avenue
Po Box 506 Ramsey
New Jersey NJ 07446-0506
Phone: 001-201-818-9500

My 2 eurocents.

Leen
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jun 11, 2004
Thanks, Leen. Yes, that is very similar in concept. The one I was looking for information about was a very cheap (in all senses of the word, I expect) copy of that general idea.
SS
Susan_S.
Jun 16, 2004
I’ve never tried using a light box before. I made a home made one – one inverted child’s plastic table, two large sheets of white swiss voile (left over from a smocking project!) and a large sheet of white cartridge paper. Illumination a mixture of natural light and a tungsten desk lamp – Too much all-around natural light to get much in the way of interesting directional shadows (I’ll try again after dark), but really lovely soft lighting.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jun 16, 2004
Hi, Susan. Another good way is to get picture stretchers and a cheap shower curtain and shine the light through that so that you get a bright spot in the middle of the fabric fading to dark at the edges. You can wire the stretchers together with big garbage bag twist ties. Halogen desk lamps (especially the clip-on ones) make great light sources, but you have to be careful about the heat with the material.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections