DP
Posted By
doug_plummer
Dec 4, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have CS4 on Tiger 10.4.11 on a completely color managed system, Epson 4800 printer. Printing seems to be broken in the new version. Prints are very dark. I know to select "Photoshop Manages Color" in Color Handling, and "No Color Management" in the printer color management dropdown. The procedure works fine in CS3.

That something is up is suggested by this wrinkle. In this case I am printing using advanced b/w. If under color handling I choose "Printer Manages Color" and go into the b/w advanced setup, it’s still too dark. If instead I choose "No color management", then make my choices in advanced b/w, it works fine.

One would first think that it’s a double color management problem, but I’m turning it off anywhere I can see it in CS4, and still having problems. Is there a new secret handshake I haven’t puzzled out yet?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

R
Ram
Dec 4, 2008
Doug,

"No color management"

Exactly where do you see that exact wording? Can you post a screen shot?

Or do you mean "No Color Adjustment"?
DP
doug_plummer
Dec 4, 2008
Really, "No Color Management", choice #3, after Printer Manages Colors and Photoshop Manages Colors, in the Color Handling dropdown. See here: <http://www.dougplummer.com/clients/cm2.jpg>
L
LarryGR
Dec 4, 2008
I see the same thing in CS4 print dialogue.
D
DYP
Dec 4, 2008
Interesting mess this whole Adobe/Apple/Printer drivers thing is.

I believe Epson makes a PS plugin for the 4800. You might want to give that a try and avoid this silliness.

Canon makes a wonderful plugin for the iPF series printer and without it I would really be raising hell about this whole mess.
GB
g_ballard
Dec 4, 2008
doesn’t b/w advanced call for Color Handling> "No Color Management" (I recall we are to select "Printer Manages Color" for b/w advanced?)?

also when you get to b/w advanced dialog, isn’t there dark, medium and light options

add a Paper Type should set up the workflow, but I had trouble following your post…
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 4, 2008
Re: #2

Doug:

In the Color Handling box where you selected "No Color Management", you should have chosen "Photoshop Manages Color".

And then in Printer Profile, you need to choose the profile for the paper on which you are printing.

Then you need to click on the "Print" Button

In the dialog which now opens, choose Color Management (from the drop-down menu in the third box) and make sure that "No Color Adjustment" is selected there.

Then … Print.

If prints are regularly too dark on certain matte papers, and you are unable to have a Custom profile made, you may find it helpful to add an overall Adjustment Curve to the file before printing.

I use one for a particular matte stock where an Input of 100 provides an Output of 120; and I save this curve as a Preset so that I can load it as needed.
D
DYP
Dec 5, 2008
Sorry I was wrong the Epson plugin does not support the 4800.

Has Adobe not tested printers?

Do they or anyone else have a list of printers that work correctly with PSCS4 and OS 10.5.5?
DP
doug_plummer
Dec 5, 2008
I see there is some confusion in how I explained my workflows. Here are the Standard Operating Procedures.

For color prints, or for when I want to use a specific output profile I select: Photoshop Manages Colors, and pick the appropriate profile. I use a Perceptual rendering intent with Black Point Compensation checked.

When you press Print you have another series of settings, many of which I have saved as custom presets. The crucial ones are Print Settings, where you choose the proper media type, as Epson adjusts nozzle flow differently under each selection, and Printer Color Management, where Off (No Color Adjustment) is the proper choice.

Using the Advanced Black and White functions requires a different series of choices, which has led to this confusion over why I would ever turn off Color Management. In that workflow I select Printer Manages Colors (in CS3 this works fine) or No Color Management (which appears to be the only way to get Epson b/w to work under CS4). Then under Print Settings you have the option under Color to choose Advanced B&W Photo, whereupon you have those lovely settings under Printer Color Management. Darker is the default setting, for no apparent reason, yet it appears to be the correct choice.
GB
g_ballard
Dec 5, 2008
Using the Advanced Black and White functions requires a different series
of choices

I think your best information on this workflow will be in your epson manual…if dark prints are the issue, why are you saying Darker is the correct choice?

It appears in your linked photo that a lot of your pixels are in the lower zones (which look dark and problematic to me going to 4800 Epson ink), maybe you need to reevaluate your file in those areas (for the printer/paper/ink)…
DP
doug_plummer
Dec 5, 2008
No, Advanced Black and White is not broken. Everything there works fine. "Darker" gives me the print density I want, and it’s the default, and correct, setting. It’s when you involve Photoshop in managing colors that things go awry.
GB
g_ballard
Dec 5, 2008
pardon me, doesn’t the epson manual specifically tell you not to use Let Photoshop Manage Color when using their Advanced Black and White driver — what is the problem
B
Buko
Dec 5, 2008
Everything there works fine. "Darker" gives me the print density I want,

then what’s the problem? By the tile of the thread You don’t want to print darker?
DP
doug_plummer
Dec 5, 2008
There is one issue, illustrated by two workflows. When I let Photoshop manage colors, prints are dark. When I don’t, they aren’t.
R
Ram
Dec 5, 2008
Doug,

Thank you for clarifying the issue with your screen shot. For some reason, I was under the (mistaken) impression you were referring to a setting in the printer driver, not the Photoshop print dialog box.

The only time I would choose No Color Management in Photoshop’s print dialog is when printing a target to create a printer profile.
R
Ram
Dec 5, 2008
Incidentally, you might want to take note of this post in another thread:

Eric Chan, "Printer Dialog Box in CS4 – Printing Grayscale Images" #26, 4 Dec 2008 8:57 pm </webx?14/25>

Eric Chan – 8:57pm Dec 4, 08 PST (#26 of 26)

Camera Raw Engineer

That’s a good idea. Unfortunately, that still doesn’t work correctly under Leopard. (i.e., the results from that effort will not match the results from printing under Tiger, or from printing under Windows with CS4, nor match the results from printing under Leopard with CS3).
EC
Eric_Chan
Dec 5, 2008
To make a very long story short, this is a matter currently being investigated jointly by Adobe and Epson. With CS4 on the Mac, Adobe has switched to using the newer printing interfaces supplied by Apple (ultimately a requirement moving forward), with the side effect of going through different driver paths than CS3 did.

In the meantime, if you are printing from Tiger to the ABW driver, as you are Doug, using No Color Management is probably the easiest option. (However, note that this will not work under Leopard …)

BTW, what are your RGB and Gray working spaces in CS4’s Color Settings?
GB
g_ballard
Dec 5, 2008
No Color Management is probably the easiest option

Hmm… I went back and looked at my Epson 7880 manual for the Adv BW instructions (I used this option once before under CS3-Ps-10.4x and got good results).

Outside of Ps, Epson manual recommends:

PRINT SETTINGS
set Media Type
set Adv BW
uncheck High Speed

PRINTER COLOR MANAGEMENT
Color Toning (Neutral/Warm/Cool, ect)
Tone: Darker/Lighter

Inside of Ps, Epson notes:

"If you are printing from Photoshop, make sure you do not use Photoshop’s color management settings when using Adv BW Photo mode. There are no profiles associated with this screening and color management technology."

I seemed to recall setting "Printer Manages Color" on my job — but Eric is recommending selecting "No Color Management" in the Ps dialog we get after hitting Command+P in Photoshop?

++++++++

I am still printing out of CS3/10.4.11, but have to admit I don’t understand what’s going on…
D
DYP
Dec 5, 2008
Again I am going to ask.

Does anybody know of any Printer/Driver combinations that actually work correctly with CS4 and Leopard?
R
Ram
Dec 5, 2008
The lack of responses to that question seems to be the answer to it.
DP
doug_plummer
Dec 5, 2008
Eric, glad to have you chime in here. It sounds like my initial impression is correct, that printing in CS4 is broken, and we need to wait for the update. My workflow now is to work on the files in CS4, flatten and save as a duplicate, and print that from CS3.

For files destined for print I use either Adobe RGB or ProPhoto for color spaces, including for b/w.
D
DYP
Dec 5, 2008
The lack of responses to that question seems to be the answer to it.

Exactly!

What 10.5.6 will bring is anybodies guess. When will we see is getting to be an even bigger question.

As for those running Epson printers you really should be getting on Epson’s case about creating a plugin for PS like Canon does.

This Adobe blaming Apple and the Printer/drivers, Apple blaming Adobe and the Printer/drivers, Printer/drivers blaming Apple and Adobe is getting to be pointless when nothing ever get fixed and every-bodies update breaks something else. And, I can go on and on about what application version, OS version, printer driver version works and does not work or what workarounds to try.

Frankly I am tired of wasting my time on this, and I don’t see much of a chance any of this will get fixed anytime soon. It is like nobody tests any of this before they release updates and we (the end user) end up being the beta testers for all of this or getting screwed – however you want to take this.

My response from now on is going to be, get a Canon and use the plugin (or any other printer that uses a plugin) or get a RIP.
R
Ram
Dec 5, 2008
As for those running Epson printers you really should be getting on Epson’s case about creating a plugin for PS like Canon does.

I don’t think any printer manufacturer should take Canon as an example. :/ Or HP, either.
D
DYP
Dec 5, 2008
I don’t think any printer manufacturer should take Canon as an example. Or HP, either.

As was only talking about the plugin, nothing else. It works perfect for getting around this mess.
EC
Eric_Chan
Dec 5, 2008
g ballard wrote:

Hmm… I went back and looked at my Epson 7880 manual for the Adv BW instructions

Those instructions don’t work all the time because they make assumptions about the document working space (specifically, the gamma encoding used).

This is precisely why I spent a long time in 2007 researching the topic and ended up writing software to build ICC profiles to be used with the ABW driver. That way the guesswork is taken out of the equation.

More background info here:

< http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan/dp/Epson3800/bwcurves.h tml>

DYP writes:

Again I am going to ask. Does anybody know of any Printer/Driver combinations that actually work correctly with CS4 and Leopard?

Sure. Here are a few Epson models that I know of: R1900, R2400, R2880, 3800, 4800, 4880, 7800, 7880, 7900, 9800, 9880, 9900, 11880. Just as long as you’re printing via the RGB color driver. (I believe the HP Z-series printers work as well but have not personally verified this.)

Doug writes:

It sounds like my initial impression is correct, that printing in CS4 is broken …

To the ABW driver under Leopard? Yes.

In general? No.

… and we need to wait for the update.

Yes, but not necessarily from Adobe.

It remains to be seen exactly where the problem is and who will provide the fix or workaround. The update will come from some subset of Adobe, Apple, and/or Epson.

Eric
GB
g_ballard
Dec 5, 2008
(Epson Advanced B&W driver) make assumptions about the document working
space (specifically, the gamma

So, Eric, you are saying we need to Convert to a space (or gamma) in Photoshop before Command+P — because the Epson Adv B&W driver will assume a color space/gamma — what would that assumption be based on (gamma of our Mac default MonitorRGB)? Assuming I am not talking about feeding the Epson grayscale.

Does this CS4-Apple-Epson issue have anything to do with some users reporting dark prints in Photoshop Manage Color – No Color Adjustment Epson workflow? — For example, someone using 1.8 gamma Monitor RGB…
D
DYP
Dec 5, 2008
Sure. Here are a few Epson models that I know of: R1900, R2400, R2880, 3800, 4800, 4880, 7800, 7880, 7900, 9800, 9880, 9900, 11880. Just as long as you’re printing via the RGB color driver. (I believe the HP Z-series printers work as well but have not personally verified this.)

Eric, thank you very much for posting that. Now people will at least know what can be eliminated in their search to correct what color problem they may be encountering.
CC
Chris_Cox
Dec 6, 2008
HP Z2100 and Z3100 were well tested.

(oh, they’re so cute, can I take one home?)
EC
Eric_Chan
Dec 6, 2008
Sure, Chris, if you can fit it into your backpack.

😉
EC
Eric_Chan
Dec 6, 2008
So, Eric, you are saying we need to Convert to a space (or gamma) in Photoshop before Command+P — because the Epson Adv B&W driver will assume a color space/gamma — what would that assumption be based on (gamma of our Mac default MonitorRGB)? Assuming I am not talking about feeding the Epson grayscale.

Yes.

The ABW driver wants to be fed gamma 2.2-encoded image data.

This is why my standard recommendation for printing to the ABW driver __ONLY__ is to use:

Color Handling = Photoshop Manages Colors
Printer Profile = Adobe RGB
Rendering Intent = Relative Colorimetric
Black Point Compensation = Enabled

Why does this work? Because no matter what your image working space is (e.g., sRGB, Adobe RGB, ProPhoto RGB, Apple RGB, ColorMatch RGB, etc.), doing this will cause your image data to be encoded in gamma 2.2 before the data gets passed off to the driver. (Adobe RGB has a gamma encoding of 2.2.)

The same workflow will work in Lightroom, too. You just need to check the "Display Profiles" checkbox in Lightroom to access Adobe RGB when selecting a printer profile.

If you are in grayscale mode instead of RGB mode, choose "Gray Gamma 2.2" instead of "Adobe RGB" for the printer profile.

However, the catch is that — as noted in this thread — there is currently a glitch, which we (Adobe + Apple + Epson) are investigating. One of the symptoms of that glitch is that the above suggested workflow does not work on Leopard.

Does this CS4-Apple-Epson issue have anything to do with some users reporting dark prints in Photoshop Manage Color – No Color Adjustment Epson workflow? — For example, someone using 1.8 gamma Monitor RGB…

Unlikely.
B
Buko
Dec 6, 2008
I started dealing with this in CS3, I took the time to figure out that CS3 wanted me to lay down too much ink. All of this fuc_kedupedness started with CS3 and you are just now noticing it?
R
Ram
Dec 6, 2008
There was printing in Photoshop BP and then there’s printing in Photoshop AP.

BP = before Polashek; AP = after Polashek arrived on the scene. Coincidence?
L
Lundberg02
Dec 6, 2008
I love it when people who are supposed to know what they’re doing go around and around. Now the whole damn country and most of the rest of the world is doing it. Why doesn’t some one fix ColorSync while they’re at it?
D
DYP
Dec 6, 2008
Buko

Don’t confuse IDCS3 with PSCS3. Those are entirely two separate problems.
D
DYP
Dec 10, 2008
Just to let you know the new Canon iPF series 1.91 drivers on the Japanese site fixes the PSCS4 and LR2.1 double profiling problems with the iPF9000.

< http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fcweb.ca non.jp%2Fdrv-upd%2Fbj4b%2Fbj4b-driver.html&sl=ja&tl= en&hl=en&ie=UTF-8>

With CM by PS the Color Matching selection in the driver setup are still grayed out but in Main/Color/Set/ No Correction in now the choice. It used to default to ColorSync which resulted in double profiling when printing from PSCS4. The behavior is now back to the way it was in PSCS3. Plugin still works fine with the 1.91 drivers installed.

I can also select Fast Graphic Process but I still cannot select monochrome.

All I did was install the iPF81009100-Drv-MacX5-191. I did not add any printers. Just installing this driver fixed this problem.

I suspect for those with the iPF5000 installing the 1.90 driver would fix this as well.

Doyle
HG
Harley_Goldman
Dec 15, 2008
Under the advanced B&W setup, there are choices for darkness settings. The default is darker. If you have not already, reset it to normal. I am not sure what names they use, since I am at work and do not have access to the printer. But you will see what I mean.
PF
Peter_Figen
Dec 15, 2008
Yes, but the Darker setting really is the "normal" setting. When you send a gamma 2.2 file through ABW, that Darker setting should give you a print that very closely matches your calibrated screen.
R
Ray1292
Jan 7, 2009
To stop this Mac OS/Printer nonsense just go online and get the latest updates for a PC/XP.

I prep on the Mac, print on the eMachine PC/XP. No sweat. BTW: I still print documents on the Mac but not the money stuff.
TH
Tom_H_Mikkelsen
Jan 8, 2009
Greetings to All:

This is to all Epson R1800 users that have had trouble printing with Intel Mac’s in CS4 or LR2. Despite everyone’s suggestions in this forum, I couldn’t get anything to work. The prints were too dark and adjusting the image to lighten it before printing defeated the purpose of working in a color managed workflow. I found a thread on these Adobe Forums (now lost) that suggested downloading the R1800 driver from the Epson European site – Epson UK. The Driver is 6.23 and is listed as 322037eu dmg. You will find it if you look on the right side menu, select your printer model, operating system etc and download. It is a 66mb file so it takes a while. I am not advocating this but it worked for me. You have to remove the old driver (6.12) then install the new driver. There might be some other adjustments depending or your particular setup. For example, the paper names are different and the menus aren’t the same.

By the way, if you look at this site it is clear that the Europeans clearly anticipated the advent of Leopard and began the process of developing drivers to suit. No pun intended but why do we live in the dark ages?

Happy New year to all,

Tom Mikkelsen
L
LarryGR
Jan 10, 2009
BINGO – Tom Thank you. I just printed the first CS4 matching print without a bunch of girations on my Epson R1800.
TH
Tom_H_Mikkelsen
Jan 11, 2009
Larry:

No Problem. I’m glad that this worked for you.

THM
W
Wnderlnd
Jan 11, 2009
OMG…I have spent all day printing the same image small test papers varying one option at a time. My images either come out too dark or too light…not at all what is on my calibrated screen.

I am printing on an Epson R1800 from CS4 on a Mac Pro (intel-based) running leopard. I am so frustrated. I figured a work-around in CS3, but it jsut isn’t the same, or even close in CS4, and forget about turning off the printer color managment…that is just terrible.

Tom, I am totally going to do this tonight. I’ll run a back-up first, just in case. Then try it. THANKS for the idea and all the numbers!
L
LarryGR
Jan 12, 2009
Wnderlnd – I’m having Magenta problems today. I didn’t change anything overnight. I’m also frustrated with my R1800. There is a magenta cast on my prints!!! I used hue/saturation to put a plus 8 to get an acceptable print. I’ve checked everything! And tried the old driver and tried CS3. No more time today.
S
SoleSole
Feb 5, 2009
I have the exact same problem. When printing on my Epson 3800 from CS4 all prints too dark. If I switch back to CS3 all prints as it is supposed to. When I contacted Adobe, I was told that the engineers will get back to me on the issue and that there does not seem to be any solution available at the moment. So just forget CS4 and use CS3.

CAN ADOBE FOR ONCE GET THEIR ACT TOGETHER?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 5, 2009
This is an Epson issue.

Go to the Epson UK (NOT Epson USA) and download the latest Printer driver for your Printer.

Also, check to see if Epson have created "Premium ICC" Profiles for your printer for the papers that you use.

I am using Epson’s "Premium ICC" Profiles on a R1900 with CS4 and the prints are outstanding — and entirely faithful to the Soft Preview.

However, I am using OSX 10.4.11 and this could also have a bearing on it.
S
SoleSole
Feb 5, 2009
I went to the Epson UK site, and there is no Epson 3800 printer. Is that printer called something else in the UK?

Also, I don’t use Epson papers. So that would mean that because CS4 has changed their color algorithms, I have to change all my paper profiles?

The only thing I changed here is CS3 to CS4. I did not make changes to anything Epson….
R
Ram
Feb 5, 2009
I don’t use Epson papers.

Then you need specific profiles for those papers in conjunction with your printer. All profiles have to be specific to one combination of printer/ink/paper. But I gather you know that already…

went to the Epson UK site, and there is no Epson 3800 printer. Is that printer called something else in the UK?

Very likely, but then the profile for the UK model won’t work with your printer. I use the Epson 2200, which is the 2100 in the UK and the rest of Europe. The profile for the 2100 and my Epson 2200 do not recognize each other.

I sould add: CS4 running under 10.4.11 is generating outstanding, right-on-target prints on my Epson 2200.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 5, 2009
If you don’t use Epson Papers (or have custom profiles for the papers that you do use) you are sailing in troubled waters.

Experiment with some of the Paper profiles that you do have and see if one of them gives better results with your paper.

Are you sure that you have set "Photoshop Manages Colors" and that your Profile is the same in both the first Print window and in the Print Settings in the second window; and that Color Management (n the second window) shows: "Off (No Color Adjustment)".
S
SoleSole
Feb 5, 2009
Yes I checked the settings a dozen times. All is set the way I had it in CS3, the same as you describe. I also called the company who does my paper profiles, and they don’t think the profiles have to change from CS3 to CS4. Epson said not to waste time with this and wait for a patch.
R
Ram
Feb 5, 2009
and they don’t think the profiles have to change from CS3 to CS4.

Neither do I. But you have something else at work. Sorry if I missed it, but are you running Leopard?
S
SoleSole
Feb 5, 2009
Hi Ramón, I run an Intel MAC 10.5.6.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 5, 2009
Epson Drivers and Leopard on a MacIntel!

That could do it!

🙁
R
Ram
Feb 5, 2009
SoleSole,

Intel MAC 10.5.6.

In that case, I’m not in a position to offer any assistance, unfortunately.
D
DYP
Feb 6, 2009
Do a search both here and in the Lightroom forum for "ColorSync Utility" and you will find a way to work around this issue with Epson driver that are not properly updated for Leopard which causes double profiling with CS4.
S
SoleSole
Feb 7, 2009
Thanks to everyone who pitched in and offered suggestions. The puzzle seems solved and here is what I did to get CS4 to print correctly:

Original Problem: CS4 prints too dark. When I switch to CS3 without changing any other parameters, all is well, and the prints come out properly.

SOLUTION:
I was lucky to have a laptop with CS4 that printed just fine. I noticed that the Epson printer driver on the MacBook Air was different from the driver on my iMac. The iMac driver had been updated to the latest version while the MacBook had not been updated but rather had a fresh version of the driver installed.

Hoping this was the key i deleted to trash the Epson printer driver on my iMac (StylusPro3800-09A6E5 (IP)).

Next i downloaded the latest printer driver for the Epson 3800 from the Epson website (StylusPro3800-09A6E5) and installed it from scratch on the iMac

I then went to system preferences and opened Print & Fax deleting the Epson 3800 printer (hit the – button). I reinstalled the Epson printer from scratch. Hit the + sign and wait until the printer is found (printer has to be on) . The OSX interface will find the new driver and install the printer with the new driver.

I launched CS4 and the prints no longer looked too dark, but identical to CS3.

Hope this helps anyone who has run into the same problem.

Thanks again for the help.
P
pfigen
Feb 7, 2009
" Again I am going to ask. Does anybody know of any Printer/Driver combinations that actually work correctly with CS4 and Leopard?

Sure. Here are a few Epson models that I know of: R1900, R2400, R2880, 3800, 4800, 4880, 7800, 7880, 7900, 9800, 9880, 9900, 11880. Just as long as you’re printing via the RGB color driver."

I’ve been running tests on my 9900 in the past few days. Yesterday I printed Gretag TC9.18 RGB profile targets from a MacPro running 10.5.5. As far as I know there is only one 9900 driver as it’s so new. I printed the target from CS3 and CS4 both in exactly the same manner – No Color Management in the Adobe print dialog and in the Epson driver with the same Velvet Fine Art media setting chosen.

Comparing the two data files read on a Spectrolino/Spectroscan with UV filter using Gretag’s Measure Tool, the two data files show a maximum Delta E of an astonishing 20.72 on the patch with the greatest difference and many patches in the 10-16 Delta E range.

This indicates something VERY different going on in the data paths between CS3 and CS4. Visually the CS4 version looks just slightly LIGHTER than the CS4 version, but it’s the extreme Delta E difference that is so troubling.

Given this massive difference, how the hell is Epson making profiles for these printers? You would have to know exactly how your customers were going to print.

My contact inside Epson was at the studio today (Southern Ca. advantage) and I’ve sent her copies of the data files as well as screen shots of the Measure Tools comparison along with some of Eric Chan’s info. So far no one I’ve spoken to at Epson really seems to understand the complexity of the problem.

I have not yet generated the CS4 profiles and made comparison print from the Leopard/CS4 combo. That may have to wait until after I print a 400 print order in the next week and a half.

CS4 and Tiger is no problem at all, but you can’t run Tiger on a new MacPro. For the meantime, it’s going to have to be CS3 on the MacPro until this mess is figured out.
D
DYP
Feb 7, 2009
A sure indication that that CM is not being turned off in the CS4/Leopard Epson driver combination. I bet if you change the profiles in the ColorSync Utility that you will get a different output.

Somewhere somehow the assigned profiles (look in the CU) for the selected media is still being picked up in the printflow even with CM turned off in the driver.

The latest drivers for the Canon iPFX100 series printers get this right, so it can be done.
P
pfigen
Feb 7, 2009
If that’s the case, and it may be, then, in order to print to Epson with CS4 and Leopard, you’d have to change the CU default profile every time you changed your media. I’ll experiment with this and see.
R
Ray1292
Feb 7, 2009
I spend 99% of of my computer time on a Mac. I use a PC for printing color.

With an Epson PC/XP driver I can choose the Epson drivers AND do selective modifications from the same GUI. Why can’t you do that with a Mac?
D
DYP
Feb 7, 2009
With an Epson PC/XP driver I can choose the Epson drivers AND do selective modifications from the same GUI. Why can’t you do that with a Mac?

You can do selective modifications from the same GUI, but if the drivers are not fully updated (correctly) for Leopard then CM will not be truly off.

It appears that there is a correct procedure(from Apple for Leopard) for implication no CM in the driver. Apparently the CS3 printing routine does not implement this correctly, but for what every reason with most printer drivers it actually works. CM off in the driver that is.

Apparently the CS4 printing routine does implement this correctly, but for what every reason with most drivers it does not work. CM off in the driver that is.

It appears to me, be it Apple or Adobe or both that there is an effort to idiot proof the driver setting when choosing Application Manages Color to force the driver to no CM. So if the driver is not written correctly it is still being forced to do something else, and that might be picking up the default profile for the media selected.

I don’t believe you are going to get Adobe or Apple to make any changes, so the ball is in Epson’s court.

If you do a search for the issue we fought with, with LR1.3.1 and was corrected in LR1.4.1 and was brought back with LR2.0 you will get a better understanding of this whole mess.
R
Ray1292
Feb 7, 2009
You seem to be able to get a different set of options when pressing the Option+Command+P keys on a Mac.
D
DYP
Feb 7, 2009
Not with CS4.
R
Ray1292
Feb 7, 2009
Profiles alone don’t cure all problems. Or do they?

Perhaps I’m off-base, if enlightenment is available have at it. Anyhow:

The main thing is I can tweak on the fly with my PC/XP (Elements 7) and Epson printer/GUI. On Macs it’s always been oh heck, print’s off, go back and work on the original file even though the eyedroppers are spot on and the driver is right.

With CS1 and me, on the fly has was never possible on my G3, PB G4, or my MacPro laptops. Seems like a crude and inflexible workflow logic to me. Turn on the PC/XP, combine the profile with a tweak in the GUI, bingo it prints. What’s so hard about that?

What’s with all the negotiations when using a Mac anyhow? Granted, there are better options than the Epson GUI.
D
DYP
Feb 8, 2009
Yes, you are off-base. If you can’t get correct prints on a Mac that is your problem.
P
pfigen
Feb 8, 2009
Ray,

Profiles don’t cure all problems, but a good custom made profile (and I’ve been making them for many years now) sure go a long way. If you used a custom profile and either converted in Ps or used the Let Ps Manage Color dialog, which is ostensibly the samething minus the live preview, you would never have had access to the "Color Controls" dialog, if you’re doing things correctly. If you did convert in Ps and then accessed Color Controls then you would be double profiling. If you had access to great custom made profiles you would never ever want to use those adjustments again – one – because they’re very crude, and two, because they just aren’t in same league in terms of what they can accomplish.

The problem right now, and we’ll have to see how Epson addresses the problem, is that there is something different going on in the CS4 data path that is providing a non expectant result when trying to pass off "raw" data to the printer. You need to be able to pass raw RGB to the driver in order to make a profile, and you need to be able to repeat that data path exactly in order for the profile to be valid. That the two "raw" data paths for CS3 and CS4 are very different indicates a problem needing to be addressed.
R
Ram
Feb 8, 2009
What’s with all the negotiations when using a Mac anyhow?

It’s called Color Management, and it’s just as useful as necessary in Windoze.
R
Ray1292
Feb 8, 2009
Thank you pfigen for a very helpful explanation.
D
DYP
Feb 8, 2009
I was beginning to think that Adobe and Apple were right about the printers and their drivers and compatibly with Leopard.

But after checking out LR2.3RC today I am SHOCKED. In fact I am so SHOCKED I am really at a loss for words, or maybe I should say I am so PISSED it is best to say no more.

<http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b7d1d8>
DE
Dan_E_Boy
Mar 11, 2009
Hi all,

Has there been any progress on this issue? I have quite a few systems in a computer lab setting and have just upgraded to CS4 and have been seeing this problem on both our Epson 3800 and 2400 printers. Here’s the setup that we have:

G4 towers and G5 Imacs running 10.4.11
Adobe Photoshop 11.01
All displays calibrated.
Latest Epson printer drivers installed.

When I print a color test chart on CS3, the colors match the display. However on CS4 it looks very dark and muddy… almost as if preserve color numbers had been checked on in proofing. I’m using the identical workflow for both programs, along with the canned Epson profiles which have worked great so far. I’ve also tried the Epson UK drivers, deleting and adding the printer and making it the default one, with no luck. At this point, I’m going to attempt a re-install, but I’m not holding my breath.

If anyone hears of anything…Thanks in advance!
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 11, 2009
It sounds as if you are going to have to invest in Custom Profiles for your printers?

I can only tell you that CS4 printing works perfectly for me (ie: it prints as an almost identical match to the Soft Proof preview for the correct Paper Profile, plus Simulated Paper Color, on an Epson R1900 from a G5 on OSX 10.4.11).

To what intensity/brightness are you calibrating your Monitor?

And by how much does the printed and dried result differ from View menu/Proof Colors (when set-up to simulate paper color?

You may just need to re-calibrate and profile your monitors to a lower Intensity?
D
DYP
Mar 11, 2009
Dan E Boy

With 10.4.11 you should not be seeing this difference between CS3 and CS4. I thought it was only a 10.5.x issue. All though we did see this issue with LR1.3 that was then corrected in LR1.4. As to the LR2.3RC problem it was corrected in the LR2.3 final release.

Have you tried the ColorSync workaround?

Your printers are register in ColorSync?

It is possible because CS4 is different than CS3 is in 10.5.x that there could be something that is setting (by default) or changes something in the driver that is causing the double profiling in 10.4.11.
S
SoleSole
Mar 11, 2009
Hi Dan,

This actually has nothing to do with the color profiles and yes, I had this problem with 10.5.6. I had the exact same problem and was able to solve it as follows:

My Original Problem: CS4 prints too dark. When I switch to CS3 without changing any other parameters, all is well, and the prints come out properly.

SOLUTION:
I was lucky to have a laptop with CS4 that printed just fine. I noticed that the Epson printer driver on the MacBook Air was different from the driver on my iMac. The iMac driver had been updated to the latest version while the MacBook had not been updated but rather had a fresh version of the driver installed.

Hoping this was the key i deleted to trash the Epson printer driver on my iMac (StylusPro3800-09A6E5 (IP)).

Next i downloaded the latest printer driver for the Epson 3800 from the Epson website (StylusPro3800-09A6E5) and installed it from scratch on the iMac

I then went to system preferences and opened Print & Fax deleting the Epson 3800 printer (hit the – button). I reinstalled the Epson printer from scratch. Hit the + sign and wait until the printer is found (printer has to be on) . The OSX interface will find the new driver and install the printer with the new driver.

I launched CS4 and the prints no longer looked too dark, but identical to CS3.

I’m not sure, but it sounded like you have not yet installed the new printer driver, and fully deleted the old one. Not an "update", but a full reinstall of the driver is necessary. (Dated 09/18/08 for the MAC)

Hope this helps.

Magdalena
B
Buko
Mar 11, 2009
DYP, did you see my latest comments in the CM forum about colorimiter and 10.5.6?
DE
Dan_E_Boy
Mar 11, 2009
Magdalena,

The steps I took on the driver install were this:

Deleted the printer from Print/Fax (PrintCenter) by pressing – downloaded the driver from Epson.
ran the uninstall option to delete any previous driver.
ran the install option to add the new one.
Added the printer to Print/Fax (PrintCenter) by pressing +

The driver that I’m using is epson12786.dmg I haven’t heard of the StylusPro3800-09A6E5 that you’re mentioning. is it from another region on Epson’s site?

On another note, I ran the same file, but had the printer handle the color, and it came out almost identical to the one I did in CS3. Very frustrating 🙁
S
SoleSole
Mar 12, 2009
Dan,
I sympathise with your frustration, it took me 3 days to solve my color issue and I was ranting the whole way through.

I downloaded my driver from the Epson US website. I checked and it is under downloads 3rd one from the top. Here is the link: (3rd one from the top)

< http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?oid =79928&prodoid=63062509&BV_UseBVCookie=yes&infoT ype=Downloads&platform=Macintosh&x=21&y=13>

Printer Driver – Tiger v3.57, Leopard v6.11
Intel-based Macs with OS X (v10.4.4 – v10.5.x), PowerPC Macs with OS X (v10.3.9 – v10.5.x) epson12786.dmg – 38.7MB – posted on 09/18/08

The new driver you downloaded seems to be correct. You just have the name of the dmg file before uncompressing it.
I did not do an unistall, I just dragged the old driver to the trash and deleted it. This should not make any difference. All the steps you took seem correct.
You removed the old driver from the trash etc. I’ll write again if I can think of anything else…

Regards
DE
Dan_E_Boy
Mar 12, 2009
Thanks Sole

I don’t know if this is a printer driver issue, considering the exact thing also happens on the systems that have the Epson 2400’s.
RS
Richard_Sjolund
Mar 14, 2009
My problem is having 2 Epson printers. I am on a MacPro – running OS 10.5.6. I use Photoshop CS4 – and I have a new 9900 connected with USB – and a 9800 connected with Firewire.

The 9900 is selected as the default printer under Print and Fax on the MacPro.

I switched the 9800 to MK (I donated my older 9600 to an art department – that was my old MK printer).

Now, the 9900 is near-perfect, but the 9800 prints everything with blocked-up blacks. Any region with black in it is just solid black.

I tried several profiles for the 9800 – including one I made with my X-Rite i1 – mostly with Somerset Velvet for Epson. None of the profiles cured the blocked-up blacks on the 9800.

There is a suggestion that a printer NOT selected as the default pinter ignores "Photoshop controls color" – and, therefore, ignores my profiles.

Is that the case here?

I am in Chicago today – attending an Epson workshop. I’ll bring up the issue there.

Dick

<http://www.wilderness-studio.com>
R
Ram
Mar 14, 2009
There is a suggestion that a printer NOT selected as the default pinter ignores "Photoshop controls color" – and, therefore, ignores my profiles.

Is that the case here?

That theory can be easily tested in one of two ways:

* either make the printer your default profile (it takes seconds and can be easily reversed); or * Convert your image file to your target profile, then let the Printer Manage Colors.

That should confirm or disprove that theory.
RS
Richard_Sjolund
Mar 14, 2009
That theory can be easily tested in one of two ways:

either make the printer your default profile (it takes seconds and can be easily reversed); or Convert your image file to your target profile, then let the Printer Manage Colors.

That should confirm or disprove that theory.

When I get back to the studio, I will do the test.

Thanks.

Dick
D
DYP
Mar 14, 2009
Make sure that it actually takes the default setting. On some systems setting it from the Printer & Faxes preference pane does not take. Check the CUPS interface <http://127.0.0.1:631/printers> to see for sure. You can set the default printer from the CUPS interface if you cannot set it from the Printer & Faxes preference pane.
L
Lundberg02
Mar 14, 2009
Anyone want to bet that CS5 will be even worse?
D
DYP
Mar 15, 2009
What makes you think that there really is something wrong with printing in CS4?

Could it be that drivers are not updated correctly for Leopard?

Or, that drivers are not installing correctly?

Or the OS is overwriting a file the non correct driver needs? Reinstall the driver?

Not all of us are having these problems!
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 15, 2009
I get perfect prints, first time and every time, from CS4: what am I doing wrong?
GB
g_ballard
Mar 15, 2009
what am I doing

aren’t you running a Power PC G5 and 10.4 — maybe that’s the difference
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 15, 2009
Of course!

🙂
A
aviduser
Mar 15, 2009
This issue has been driving me crazy. Thanks to all that posted. I am using the following:

Mac OS 10.5.6
MacPro
Spyder color calibrated cinema monitor
Epson Stylus Pro 3800
Epson Enhanced Matte paper (for B&W)

I also have LR 2 and PS CS4 installed.

For the life of me I could not get my B&W prints to come out right in CS 4 or LR 2. After reading here, I selected "Edit in Photoshop CS3" from Lightroom’s library. I printed as usual from CS3 (PS manages colors, using SPro 38 EMP profile). Perfect results.

Too bad I burned so much paper & ink, not to mention hair (!) trying to get to this point. I hope someone releases an update to fix this issue with CS4 soon.

cheers,

aviduser
R
Ray1292
Mar 15, 2009
This whole process is logical nonsense to me, sorry. On a color printing head in the darkroom you had three color corrections, plus you had a timer for exposure time, and an f/stop on the lens.

There is such an endless clutter of obstructions in digital printing. Sure, if you find the right combination great. But look at the misery that smart engineering could eliminate. So where is the smart engineering?
RS
Richard_Sjolund
Mar 15, 2009
My problem was that the 9800 was not designated as the DEFAULT printer (the 9900 is).

When the 9800 is not the Default printer – it ignores the profile – and make huge blocked-up black areas.

When I made the 9800 the DEFAULT printer – it made a perfect print.

See my new post here:

Default Printer Problem – Epson 9800 and 9900

<http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b837a5>
P
pfigen
Mar 15, 2009
This is interesting. I’ll test this tomorrow when I get to the studio. I’ll print out a profile target from CS3, which works fine in Leopard with the 9900 as the default printer, measure that the compare it to a CS4 version of the same target printed with the 9800 as the default printer.

I’m thinking that this can’t be enough to "fix" this problem, but measuring two targets and comparing them in ProfileMaker’s Measure Tool will tell just how different the two options really are, within the tolerance of the Spectrolino.

If, in fact they produce statistically similar results, that will be more information for my contacts at Epson, who are already aware that there is a problem of sorts.
A
aviduser
Mar 16, 2009
One update: The prints from CS3 were not as sharp as the earlier prints. Don’t know why. My ink cartridges (SP3800) are getting low, but that should not be the problem. I applied the sharpen filter then printed at 2880/best quality in ABW.

I hope we get this fixed. BTW, I can’t get good prints out of LR 2 either–same exact issue as with PSCS4. Too bad too, because the sharpening is awesome.

Oddly, I managed to get some recently taken and edited photos printed straight from LR2, (I had to lighten them in ABW) but not the older photos–those had to be printed from CS3.

Very frustrating.

aviduser
HM
Henrik_Mj
Mar 17, 2009
Hi, I just wanted to say thanks to all contributors of this extensive an great discussion.. great know-how in any case!
A
aviduser
Mar 17, 2009
So where are we with this one? Is Adobe working on this?

Perhaps someone could let us all know. I assume it is an Adobe update that needs to happen . . .

aviduser
RS
Richard_Sjolund
Mar 17, 2009
For my studio – it looks more like and Epson and Apple issue.

Dick

<http://www.wilderness-studio.com>
EC
Eric_Chan
Mar 18, 2009
aviduser, it is an issue we (Adobe) are currently pursuing with the print vendors. The hope is that they will release updated printer drivers that resolve the issue (however, as the ball is in their court it is not something we can ultimately control). Nearly all of the current printer models already have updated drivers; generally it’s the older models whose drivers need a refresh.
A
aviduser
Mar 18, 2009
Eric:

Thanks for your response. I hope that someone gets on this fast. It is frustrating to say the least. I wasted a ton of paper & ink the other day messing with it. Wound up having to print in CS3.

I assume that a new driver will address the issue for both CS4 and LR2?

Thanks,

aviduser (grayscapes)
CC
Chris_Cox
Mar 18, 2009
If the new driver follows the guidelines provided by Apple, then yes.
D
DYP
Mar 18, 2009
aviduser

You can always use the ColorSync Utility workaround discussed here and in the Lightroom forums. Good luck with getting older printers drivers updated.
A
aviduser
Apr 1, 2009
Any news on this front? Has Epson released updated drivers?
NK
Neil_Keller
Apr 1, 2009
Avid,

Have you taken your concern directly to Epson? I’d be curious to know their response.

Neil

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections