HW
Posted By
Hal_Work
Dec 30, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Printing with the same profile, same intent, same computer, same printer. PS and LR do the color management and the printer doesn’t.

At some point with CS3, PS started printing dark. This has carried over to CS4. Lightroom printing is fine.

Ideas? I don’t have a clue.

Thanks, Hal

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

R
Ram
Dec 30, 2008
There are numerous exhaustive threads on this subject. Do a forum search on dark prints.
HW
Hal_Work
Dec 31, 2008
Most of the threads that I’ve checked would seem to indicate that if CS4 is printing dark then Lightroom 2.2 will be printing dark. It isn’t.

What I did find in one of the threads was that I should have the printer that I use with PS as the default printer. That I didn’t have set. It is now.
R
Ram
Jan 1, 2009
Hal,

… CS4 is printing dark then Lightroom 2.2 will be printing dark.

That is a totally unwarranted assumption, not supported by anything that has been posted here. Very few folks here use Lightroom. Personally, after having tried it, I thoroughly hate Lightroom.

There is a separate, dedicated forum for Lightroom. I’m sure the folks over there would be interested in what you have to say about Lightroom, Hal.
HW
Hal_Work
Jan 1, 2009
The threads that I found using your suggested keywords seemed to indicate that this could be a Leopard issue. I had looked through the forum for relevant posts before. But, I didn’t find what I was looking for.

If it was a Leopard issue, then using ALL the same parameters in CS4 and LR should get the same results. That’s why I titled the post the way that I did.

I’m not saying anything about Lightroom. I’m sorry that your response to my request for assistance has been just attitude.

Happy new year, Hal
R
Ram
Jan 1, 2009
Your logic is still flawed. There is nothing that says Leopard affects all applications the same way. A huge difference in Lightroom is that it’s a 64-bit application, while Photoshop for Mac is not.

I’m not saying anything about Lightroom.

That is a plain falsehood.

You have something to say about how Lightroom functions in each of your posts in this thread: the original post and posts #2 and 4.

CS4 prints perfectly on my Tiger setup, as do CS3. CS2, CS and Photoshop 7.0.1, all of which coexist happily on my machine.
HW
Hal_Work
Jan 1, 2009
My logic is not an issue. You seem more interested in the analyses of my posts than actually helping me find an answer to my problem. If my logic were perfect and I had found all the posts that you had found relevant, I wouldn’t have a problem printing with CS4.

I’m trying to get help here. If you cannot add value to the resolution of my printing problem, please do not reply again.

Thanks, Hal
R
Ram
Jan 1, 2009
Hal,

I have news for you: you do not own this thread or this forum. Anyone is free to reply, and I will do so as I see fit.

With that attitude, it’s no wonder you haven’t received much help from anybody.
D
DYP
Jan 1, 2009
Hal

If you what you wanted here was help, we need to know a lot more information.

What OS/version?

What printer?

What driver/version?

What print settings in LR?

What print settings in PS?

What settings in the printer driver?

Are you testing with the same file/photo? Is it assigned a working space profile. Do LR and PS look the same on screen? Does it happen with every photo?

Have you downloaded and printed a control photo? Viewed it on the screen?

Is you monitor properly calibrated? Including luminance?
HW
Hal_Work
Jan 2, 2009
Hi DYP,

I apologize if people thought I was making political or some other kind of statement. Yes, help is what I’m after.

Printer: Epson 2200

Driver: 3.09 (found that in /Library/Printer/EPSON/InkjetPrinter/SP2200.plugin)

LR 2.2: in the Print Setting, I’m using No Color Management and in the Print Job panel Color Management is set to an appropriate profile from Ilford matching the paper, inkset, and printer, Rendering Intent is Relative.

PS CS4: Color Handling is set to Photoshop Manages Colors, the same profile is being used as in LR, Rendering Intent is Relative Colorimetric.

Driver settings: Color management is set to No Color Adjustment

I’ve tested with the same photo on several occasions. I typically use a working space of ProPhoto RGB. Images look the same in both PS and LR on screen.

Haven’t done anything with a control photo. Don’t know anything about them.

I profile the monitor monthly with a Spyder.

When I say that the prints look dark in PS compared to LR, I’m guessing it’s around 2 to 3 EV darker. Color is OK.

A few months ago, when I profiled my monitor (iMac), I set the gamma to 2.2 on advice from others. At that point, I noticed that my prints were dark. I subsequently profiled it back to 1.8. I believe that printing with PS CS3 was fine at that point. I wasn’t printing with LR then. I upgraded to PS CS4. I may have changed my default color space from Adobe RGB to ProPhoto RGB. But, I would think that it would just get out of gamut issues if this was the problem.

Thanks, Hal
D
DYP
Jan 2, 2009
I would guess the 3.09 is not totally compliant with the current Adobe/Apple combination which results in double profiling. I sure someone (that uses custom profiles) with that combination can confirm that or not.

I would try converting your photo to the paper profile in PS and then set the PS print dialog to "Printer Manages Color" and then turn off CM in the driver and see if that makes any difference. The other thing to try is the ColorSync workaround that I am sure you were made aware of when you did your search.
HW
Hal_Work
Jan 2, 2009
Thanks DYP,

My 2200 is 6 years old. Too bad it’s still going strong. I’ve read that its driver may not be up to snuff. When I’ve double profiled in the past, my prints had a magenta hue to them. Not so now.

Your suggestion certainly is creative. I’ll give it a try on my next printing cycle.

Thanks again, Hal
P
PShock
Jan 2, 2009
You should re-calibrate for a gamma of 2.2. A gamma of 1.8 would make a dark print problem worse because the screen is lighter. Also, what kind of screen brightness level are you using?

I’ve read that its driver may not be up to snuff.

I’ve read that too. I completely disagree with it.

Usually, the negative comments are in reference to using it with Leopard but my experience says different. As far as I can tell, the 2200 driver works just as well and has identical functionality in 10.5.6 as it did in 10.4.1.

-phil
HW
Hal_Work
Jan 3, 2009
Thanks Phil. I thought the 2.2 gamma was a problem. That was the only thing that I thought had changed when I got dark prints on CS3. Something else was probably going on. I’ll give 2.2 another go.

Yeah, I don’t notice anything different with 2200 functionality. I guess that there are new things coming along that Epson isn’t going to update old drivers for. Maybe inconsequential for basic printing.

Thanks, Hal

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections