KW
Posted By
Keith_Wetzler
Dec 5, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a PowerMac 9600/300, it’s running OS 8.1 and has 384 MB of built in memory (I couldn’t find anything that specifically mentioned RAM). I would like to install photoshop on it but don’t know what version is compatible? Any thoughts? Thanks.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

NK
Neil_Keller
Dec 5, 2008
Keith,

PS 5.5 maybe?? Your computer is quite old with very limited resources.

Neil
B
Buko
Dec 5, 2008
Photoshop 7 might work on that computer. You can upgrade the system to 9.1 if you can find a copy.
JF
john_findley
Dec 5, 2008
Buko is correct.
NK
Neil_Keller
Dec 5, 2008
I wasn’t sure if PS7 would work with that system (although that may be pushing Keith’s system a bit); although I was pretty sure 5.5 would.

Hey, I even have a decommissioned SCSI Epson 800-series scanner with transparency adapter! <g>

Neil
P
Phosphor
Dec 5, 2008
"I even have a decommissioned SCSI Epson 800-series scanner with transparency adapter!"

Me too!
NK
Neil_Keller
Dec 6, 2008
Hmmpphh! At least you have the box and styro! <g> But, yeah, mine is like new, too!

Neil
NK
Neil_Keller
Dec 6, 2008
Hmmpphh! At least you have the box and styro! <g> But, yeah, mine is like new, too. But, I must say my Canon 9950F works very nicely!

Neil
KW
Keith_Wetzler
Dec 6, 2008
Thanks for all your messages. I appreciate your help.

Keith
KW
Keith_Wetzler
Dec 6, 2008
Neil, I need to import sponsor logos to place inside TV commercials. It’s not very heavy graphic work.
NK
Neil_Keller
Dec 6, 2008
Keith,

As long as you can produce work per spec, then you should be golden. And as long as the machine is still roadworthy, know that you’re almost eligible to buy "Antique" plates for it. <g>

Neil
NK
Neil_Keller
Dec 6, 2008
Keith,

As long as you can produce work per spec, then you should be golden. And as long as the machine is still roadworthy, know that you’re almost eligible to buy "Antique" plates for it. Hope you keep the lacquer neatly touched up, though. <g>

Neil
L
Lundberg02
Dec 6, 2008
Photoshop 3.05 will run very nicely on that box, AND, AND…… you will be able to understand it and print with it without reading eight books and memorizing g ballard.
Get a UMax scanner , too.
PF
Peter_Figen
Dec 6, 2008
I’ve still got one 9600 in the studio that sits idle as a backup scanning machine for a drum scanner that only will run on OS9. I’m pretty sure it’s got 9.1 or so on it and PS 7, which ran very well on it with a gig of ram.

Lundy,

While you can certainly print from Ps 3, you won’t be able to do it in any sort of color managed fashion. You’re strictly limited to "Monitor RGB" and all that entails. I’d stick with 6.0 or later.
SV
Stevie_V
Dec 7, 2008
I’d go with PS 5 at least (the action-ablity of version 5 was way better than previous versions)
JF
john_findley
Dec 7, 2008
IIRC there was some compelling reason to upgrade to 5.5. Can’t remember why, but something in me feels it was significant(?).
L
Lundberg02
Dec 7, 2008
The compelling reason was that PS 5 was screwed up.

Exactly my point, Peter. No color management.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections