MM
Posted By
merry_maiden
Aug 31, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I downloaded this and it worked for about 5 days. Now it will not completely load up and let me use it at all. HELP!!!!! 😎

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

NS
Nancy_S
Aug 31, 2004
mmaiden,

Does the program stall at a certain place, what does the splash screen say when it stalls out?
MM
merry_maiden
Aug 31, 2004
After it starts loading everything, it pulls up the gray background, but it is only 3/4 of the way covering the screen and you can still see the screen that shows when it is loading everything (its in the background and you see it at the bottom where the gray isn’t covering..

Then when I try and open a project, it acts like it is doing it, but doesn’t pull up anything…lol
BH
Beth_Haney
Aug 31, 2004
The gray background must mean you’re using a Win machine. Try deleting the Preference folder: With Elements closed, click on the start up icon and then make a quick grab for the Control, Alt, and Shift keys. Hold all three down until you get a screen asking if you want to delete Settings. Say Yes.

I don’t guarantee this will work, but if it’s appearing to load but won’t run, this is worth trying as a first step.
MM
merry_maiden
Aug 31, 2004
Beth
I went to Adobe, and the preference selection has a number of things to choose-where do I go and what exactly do I delete?
thanks!
Nelle
BH
Beth_Haney
Aug 31, 2004
Did you try the shortcut I gave? That’s usually the fastest and easiest way to delete the Preferences on a Win version. The preference folder is buried so far in Win, that I don’t even remember how to get to it.

By the way, I did forget the sentence in my last post that would have told you that after saying Yes to deleting Settings a new Preference folder would rebuild as Elements continued to launch. If the shortcut didn’t work, let us know. Someone more familiar with Windows (which version?) will post the full path. Or me if you run XP Pro I can figure it out!
MM
merry_maiden
Aug 31, 2004
I am running win 98…I tried the shortcut but to no avail…lol If I uninstalled it and then reinstalled it would I still get to keep my 20 days of trial?
TF
Terri_Foster
Aug 31, 2004
MM,

Preferences are in a Hidden Folder in the Owner Documents folder in XP. I assume the’d be in a similar local in 98. When you went to delete preferences, it read to me like you got lost on the short cut tip Beth gave earlier. Before digging for that folder try the shortcut again. Click icon, hold in the alt, control, and shift keys DURING program launch. Click yes to delete preferences when the dialog box comes up.

Terri
MM
merry_maiden
Aug 31, 2004
I tried the shortcut, but it just brings up the page that always shows up about it being the trial version and all—could that be why it isn’t working, because it is the trial version?
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Aug 31, 2004
MM,

Try it again … you probably didn’t hold down the keys quick enough. Get you fingers in place and then click on Elements to open it.

Wendy
MM
merry_maiden
Aug 31, 2004
Sorry, but it still didn’t work….if I uninstalled it and then reinstalled it, would I lose my 20 days?
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Aug 31, 2004
MM,

Don’t uninstall then reinstall … I’m not sure if you would lose your 20 days but it wouldn’t help if it is a prefs file problem as the prefs are not removed on an uninstall.

Lets try again … close down Elements then hold down the Control, Alt, and Shift keys with one hand and with the other hand click on the Elements icon to open the program. Keep on holding down the three keys until a box comes up asking if you want to delete the settings …

Let me know if you manage it this time 🙂

Wendy
MM
merry_maiden
Sep 1, 2004
Thanks so much..it worked!!!!!!
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Sep 1, 2004
MM,

So glad it did … the three key hold down can be a little tricky until you get the knack 🙂

Wendy
SR
Schraven_Robert
Sep 1, 2004
Merry maiden,

You said that you use win 98. Could it be that your ram is not large enough. I got that impression as the loading took such a long time.
Robert

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections