BD
Posted By
Bob_Dunkerley
Jun 30, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I can’t find out where the fonts are stored that appear in the Elements font list. I would like to produce an abbreviated list of my frequently used fonts and I would also like to use some of the Elements fonts in other applications.
Any suggestions would be most welcome.
Bob Dunkerley

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

RR
Raymond Robillard
Jun 30, 2004
Are you on a Mac or on Windows? If you’re on a Mac, and running Panther, then use Font Book (Applications folder).

On Windows, the fonts are in C:\WINDOWS\FONTS.

Ray
AT
Anne_Twitchell
Jun 30, 2004
Jodi, your comments on fonts interests me. I seem to have very few fonts available for use in Elements, but I have lots of different ones available in Microsoft Word. Are you saying that the latter ought to be available to me for use in Elements? And if so, how?

Anne
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jun 30, 2004
Anne, don’t know, all my fonts are available in Elements. Micro word which i have and never touched…use post script fonts >?
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
Jul 1, 2004
I’ve wondered about the availability of fonts in Elements and other programs. In PE1 under XP I have access to 294 fonts (yep, I counted them; twice). Fonts in Control Panel shows 462 on the Status Bar. When I switch the View to Hide variations it shows 310 plus 152 hidden. Comparing Arial there are 11 in all Fonts, 5 in hide variation and 5 in Elements and they are the same 5. Comparing Bodoni the numbers are 11, 4, and 4.

That’s as far as I went but it still leaves 16 unaccounted for.

Not sure what this proves except that I had too much time on my hands this morning.

Bob
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jul 1, 2004
Call Mulder or Scully. They’ll be able to help. In all events, please stay home, close your Windows, drink a lot of fluid and keep warm.

VT
(another XD variation..!)

Ray
JM
Joy_M
Jul 1, 2004
Bob,

It seems that you are really asking about getting more fonts and then managing access to them. First you will need a font managing program. Thousands of fonts are available as freeware and you will need to manage them. cnet.com offers several free font managers on at their download location. Search for "fonts". My favorite program is "The Font Thing". It is for WIN and will work on XP. It will list and show your default fonts. As you add fonts, you can browse to the location you stored them, view, install, and temporarily load them. And importantly, create your collections.

One good site I found for fonts is www.highfonts.com. When you download a font, read the readme file for instructions on where fonts are located on the computer. But what I do now is group fonts in a location of my choosing and use the font manager to the installation and managing.

Reading the rating sections on the free downloads on the cnet site to get more recommendations on things to download.

Joy
GR
Geoff Realname
Jul 6, 2004
The Font Thing is excellent. Making the collections can be a bit laborious if you’ve got a lot of fonts, but once done it really speeds things up e.g you want a script font: go to your script collection, type in the text you’re going to use then just scroll down the list to see what it looks like. Extra tip: as you scroll down, add any that you like to a temporary collection to save having to remember which ones you liked – you can then review them and find the best.
S
sunnyway
Jul 11, 2004
Just to clarify–any font that is already installed on your computer will appear on the pulldown menu on the toolbar when you have selected the Text Tool. PSE2 does not have its own font set–it uses whatever you already have or later add.
JM
Joy_M
Jul 13, 2004
I thought of some more tips. In Windows do Start>Search and type in a known font name in a file search to find out where the default fonts are stored. If anyone uses a downloaded font manager, backup the program file on CD as well as the folder with all fonts (I now have over 750) and, equally important, the folder in the font manager program file with your Collections. The manager looks for fonts in a collection in the place where you stored them when you set up your collections. If Murphy hits or you need to move into another computer, you’ll save a lot of time with a backup. I spent many hours setting up my manager. I also grouped my new fonts in folders listing download date, download site and first letter of font names. It helps document what I downloaded and added so I can forget. I plan to do the same thing to all the Plugins, Styles, Brushes, etc, I added to Photoshop elements too. Right clicking on a file and going to Properties>Summary is another nice place to make brief notes about stuff related to that file.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections