PR
Posted By
paul_roger
Jan 3, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My Mac has just started freezing when clicking the ‘open’ button in Photoshop extended. I can select New or Recent it is just the Open command where the problem is. I haven’t knowingly altered anything or added new items and it was working fine until recently. Any ideas would be appreciated.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

R
Ram
Jan 3, 2009
If the whole machine freezes, you’ve got hardware problems.

If only Photoshop freezes and you have to force quit the application, something else may be going on.

We need details. CLICK HERE <http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?50@@.2cd06cd9> for advice on how to ask your question correctly for quicker answers. Thanks!
PR
paul_roger
Jan 3, 2009
Sorry about lack of detail. Photoshop freezing on the ‘Open’ command and forced quit several times. Problem not rectifying and wondering where to go from here. Reboot time 15+ minutes before desktop is restored.
B
Buko
Jan 3, 2009
read the link Ramón gave you on how to ask questions.
R
Ram
Jan 3, 2009
Exact version of Photoshop and the OS, machine specs, RAM, RAM allowance to Photoshop, available disk space, routine maintenance you perform, what you have tried to fix the problem… etc.

Man, you never even bothered to click the link I gave you! Here it goes again:

CLICK HERE <http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?50@@.2cd06cd9> for advice on how to ask your question correctly for quicker answers. Thanks!
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Jan 3, 2009
Fifteen Minutes to reboot? Unusual!

You can try to clear the pram or use cache out x or cocktail to clear the cache if that does not work I would suspect bad RAM.

But the cache on the motherboard does not seem to be clearing in a normal way.
PR
paul_roger
Jan 3, 2009
SORRY you are quite right.

CS4 Extended. OSX 10.5.6. 6GB ram. 16 free disk space. ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT. 2150 ram located to Photoshop.

I have tried rebooting and running First Aid from utilities but not a lot else.
GB
g_ballard
Jan 3, 2009
try adding New User to your search
B
Buko
Jan 3, 2009
16 free disk space.

16 what? hard drives? KB? MB? GB?
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 3, 2009
paul,

Tell us which Mac you are using, please.

Neil
PR
paul_roger
Jan 3, 2009
Hi and Sorry (again) I think this must be a hardware fault as it has just happened with Lightroom 2. I clicked the Open button and it froze and had to use the Force Quit. Will contact Apple on Monday and thanks for your time and patience.
B
Buko
Jan 3, 2009
When you talk to Apple, be sure to be as uninformative with them as you were with us.
GB
g_ballard
Jan 3, 2009
nobody reads post #7
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Jan 4, 2009
gballard and buko

it does not sound like a user or account issue as it takes him 15 minutes to reboot.

However it may be possible that a user account could pass a buffer or bus issue to the firmware and backside cache and it might be worth a try.

But I think the resetting the PRAM might be more helpful in this case.

But I have a feeling this is hardware or an unusual firmware issue.

It is very strange and for his own peace of mine he should have it checked out before something really serious happens.
B
Buko
Jan 4, 2009
Wade it would have been nice to know what machine and OS he was using. for all we know he has an old G4 450MHz
R
Ram
Jan 4, 2009
From what he has stated (not much) he has a miserable 16 GB of free disk space. But getting information from him appears to be an impossibility.
PR
paul_roger
Jan 4, 2009
Hi Guys from a frozen morning here in England.

Thanks for all your efforts and ‘Ouch’ your message has gotton across so please consider that I have been truly nailed to the tree. I did ‘jump in’ without thinking and reading through things first and as a NEW user I should have at least included this with my message.

For the record it is a Mac Pro 3.0 quad core Intel. OSX 10.5.6. 6GB ram. 160 free disk space (sorry Ramon dyslexic as well). ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT. 2150 ram located to Photoshop.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Jan 4, 2009
I figured he was bit unfamiliar with what this was all about. And the 16GB seemed like a typo to me.

However we have had people lacking in resources approach the forum and they have often argued that 8 GBs of Free Space on a modern system is more then ample to keep the disk spinning and act like a healthy scratch with the average file being 3 GB without layers.

But that did not seem like the case here. And besides he is probably a cockney and you know what they call english! They can’t understand themselves.

If Paul hangs around here long enough, however, he will soon acquire language skills equal to my own.

So if paul hangs around long enough perhaps he will acquire language skills equal to my own. And that should teach you lesson, so don’t be so critical.

It could be worse!
GB
g_ballard
Jan 4, 2009
NEW USER is a maintenance routine – you create a new user account on the machine to rule out user preferences

<http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1541>
Mac OS X 10.5: Troubleshooting installation, startup, and login issues

if you still have Apple care try giving Apple a call for tech support
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Jan 4, 2009
I think that creating a New User account is a good test for undetermined user account problems. But this does not seem to be the problem.

I often recommend this approach and 7 out of ten times it works and the users will know it is not hardware or an OS issue. But this does not appear to be that kind of problem.

I have heard where the blue screen is there for a longtime and usually if that happens one would have no choice but to manually clear the PRAM or leave the computer off for an extended period of time unplugged and not connected to anything.

He can try a new user but I think he is going to have the same issue or it will shortly return.
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 4, 2009
paul,

160 free disk space (sorry Ramon dyslexic as well).

Sorry about your dyslexia, but I still must ask…one hundred sixty what? KB? MB? GB? TB? You also said "sixteen" in an earlier post.

Unfortunately, we can’t be of much help here we know your system environment.

Neil
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Jan 5, 2009
160 GB he is simply not …well not like you guys… he is thinking and writing and the two may not go together for him as well as it might for you.

It is 160 GB he has the space.
PR
paul_roger
Jan 6, 2009
Thanks Wade resetting the Pram did the trick, I just wish Photoshop was that simple! Paul
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Jan 6, 2009
That’s what I thought.

It can happen.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections