AM
Posted By
ALEX_MacGILLIVRAY
Jul 27, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I hope this problem is not too basic to seek help from the group. But try as I might, I have not so far been able to satisfactorily lighten a dark shadow cast by a hat brim. The face of my subject is thus partially obscured. Using lasso tools, I can get so far, but get lost when I call up the Gradient tool. I am hoping someone can point me in the correct direction to repair my picture taking mistake.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jul 28, 2004
Alex,

No question is too basic. There are lots of ways of dealing with lightening dark shadows one is:

Select the lasso and set the feather to about 10 to 20 (it all depends on the resolution of your image … so just try it out) then select the area that is too dark. Enhance>Adjust Brightness & Contrast>Levels then move the middle slide a little to the left until it looks OK. Using feather means you don’t get a harsh line when you lighten the section.

Another way is to simply open your image then Enhance>Adjust Lighting>Fill Flash and move the lighter slide until your image looks OK

You will need to experiment a little.

Wendy
NS
Nancy_S
Jul 28, 2004
Or yet another…

* create a new blank layer on top, set mode to Overlay
* have foreground color in Tool Box be white
* choose a soft paintbrush set to about 5% opacity
* dab some white paint over the shadowed portion of the image, repeat dabbing as required

OR
* lasso/copy/paste darkened face on new top layer
* set mode to screen, experiement with the layer opacity, maybe tweak that layer a bit with levels afterwards, perhaps use a gentle eraser for touchup
SB
Stu_Bloom
Jul 28, 2004
IMO, Nancy’s method is the best to use for this problem. Just be sure to use, as she suggests, a SOFT brush and a LOW opacity.

For subtler changes, you can use Soft Light instead of Overlay.
AM
ALEX_MacGILLIVRAY
Jul 28, 2004
Thank you group! I’m overwhelmed by your responses.

I’ve only had time to follow Wendy’s instructions and am pleased with the result. Both Nancy and Stu have further suggestions. I’ll try those just as soon as possible. Their instructions are a bit more complicated, but I’m sure will go a long way in helping me to overcome my ineptness with Elements. That is, when house visitors leave.
MR
Mark_Reibman
Jul 28, 2004
Alex,

Try Nancy’s technique (non destructive dodging) at 100% opacity switching (hit the ‘x’ key) between burn and dodge to get a sense for how this works undo your work and then use 5% opacity.

This is a very gradual technique with several passes. Experiment. You’ll get the idea.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jul 28, 2004
Alex,

As you have gathered by now there are lots of ways to do this … but one thing you should always do is to work on a duplicate of your image and not the original. That way if you make a mess of it you will always have the original to go back to.

Wendy
AM
ALEX_MacGILLIVRAY
Jul 28, 2004
Good advice Wendy.

Following your technique, I did use a copy and can now see my subject’s face under the hat brim. I am still struggling to understand Nancy’s instructions, but then, with a guest in the house, I haven’t been able to devote the time needed.

Again thanks for help from everyone.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jul 28, 2004
Alex,

You will find that as you learn more about Elements it will all just fall into place … it just takes a while.

Wendy

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections