LT
Posted By
Les_Thurmond
Aug 17, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve had my Photoshop Elements 1.0.1 for two years now, & have gotten my money’s worth out of it – And then some. Plus, I’ve run into a few problems recently that I hadn’t before doing the same things. So, what’s the recommendation? I think for the sheer time that I’ve had it & the version that it is – Those should be enough reasons right there. And it does seem that Adobe mostly just gives a lot of recipes, instead of actual application code updates to download. Further, there doesn’t seem to be an upgrade for PE for those of us who already have purchased a previous version. This of course means that one would have to pay full price for it – As if they’d never bought it before. Hey, I don’t mind paying full price. I can get Elements 2 plus Photoshop Album for $69.99 after the $30 rebate. I would think that surely there would be less bugs & more enhancements than my old one – And then I wouldn’t have to bother you guys as much! Anyway, a penny for your thoughts!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Aug 17, 2004
Les,

I wouldn’t change it yet … there are all sorts of rumours about PSE3 arriving soon AND I don’t think that PSE2 gives you a great deal more than PSE1. I sure that Jodi and a few others are still using PSE1.

Wendy
JH
Jim_Hess
Aug 17, 2004
Really? I have noticed a lot of people on this forum are anticipating the release of Photoshop Elements 3.0, but I have not seen anything on the Adobe web site that indicates that such a release is imminent. I’m just wondering what I have missed or overlooked.
LT
Les_Thurmond
Aug 17, 2004
Wendy,

Thanks so much – I knew you’d come through! Think I’ll wait for PSE3.

As for my response to the other question I asked (About the clone problem), I’ll have to wait until tomorrow. It’s late – And I’ll have to get into all your responses then. But I can’t wait to try your lasso maneuver. So, until then…..

Les
S
shell0
Aug 17, 2004
I have Photoshop Elements version 1.0.128.0 which I remember when I first started using it had the photomerge option functional. Now it is grayed out.

Did I do something, can I do something to get it back? or was this an option that expired? (haven’t been editing pictures for awhile, so I’m not sure what’s what)PE came as bundled software with my laptop.

Thanks,
Michele
VK
Vratislav_Kuska
Aug 17, 2004
Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 software – Converging verticals (correcting perspective – "falling buildings")

Hello,

has anyone experience with various software for Mac (ideally OS 9 and OS 10 compatible) capable of effective correction of converging verticals (correcting perspective – "falling buildings")?

Could Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 software do it? Photoshop can do it perfectly, but it is too expensive and complicated to learn (I am presently using Photoshop LE to full satisfaction with exception of lacking possibility to correct converging verticals.

Cheers,

Vraatia
CR
Chris_Rankin
Aug 17, 2004
Jim,
I think what alot of people are thinking (hoping,wishing) is that now that Adobe has released CS and has it up and running is that they’ll turn their attention to Elements and release an updated version 3.

CR
CR
Chris_Rankin
Aug 17, 2004
Vraatia,
Have you tried turning on your grid lines and then using one of the transform tools (skew or distort) to manipulate the image and fix the converging verticals? Just a thought.

CR
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Aug 17, 2004
Vraatia,

I left a message for you about this on the Photoshop board.

Wendy
JH
Jim_Hess
Aug 17, 2004
I might be wrong, but I think this "let’s wait for Photoshop Elements 3" is more of a hope than a reality. With Photoshop Elements 2 Adobe has provided us with very solid set of image editing tools in a program that runs with very few problems. And it wouldn’t surprise me if they adopted the philosophy that if you need more than this, you should consider Photoshop CS.
LT
Les_Thurmond
Aug 17, 2004
Jim,

Just curious – Did you use PE 1 before you bought PE 2? And if so, is this why you said what you did in your post? Is it that much better than PE 1?

Les
JH
Jim_Hess
Aug 17, 2004
Les,

No, I did not use Photoshop Elements 1.0. Actually, I started out with Photoshop 4.0, upgraded to Photoshop 6.0, and purchased Photoshop Elements 2 because it looked to me like it had the main features from Photoshop 7 that I wanted and it was a lot cheaper than the upgrade to Photoshop 7. I have since started using Photoshop CS. It has several additional features that personally I find quite valuable such as the highlight/shadow adjustment, the photo filters, the healing brush. I was just thinking that it might be a little unrealistic for us who expect Adobe to keep adding new valuable features to a program that isn’t giving them the return that Photoshop is. I have no inside information. I’m just guessing and expressing my opinion. And maybe I’m just too much of a troublemaker for my own good. 🙂
LT
Les_Thurmond
Aug 17, 2004
Jim,

No, you’re not a trouble maker at all. I appreciate your candidness (Not sure that’s a word). I’m a lot like you in that respect. I shoot totally from the hip, and say what’s on my mind – Then "let the chips fall where they may." It’s a lot easier to be real than it is to be a fake. There’s too much of that now. However, it is more difficult going upstream against the norm. But that works out too, in the end -for the better.

You’ve been very helpful.

Regards,

Les
VK
Vratislav_Kuska
Aug 17, 2004
VK
Vratislav_Kuska
Aug 17, 2004
on 8/17/04 7:30 AM, Chris Rankin at wrote:

Have you tried turning on your grid lines and then using one of the transform tools (skew or distort) to manipulate the image and fix the converging verticals? Just a thought.

I am afraid I cannot do it in the Photoshop 4.0 LE I have. At least I could not find any command to do it. Only option I have is to "Distort" – "Pinch, Ripple, Spherize, Twirl". Neither of those can correct converging verticals.

Vraatia
MR
Mark_Reibman
Aug 18, 2004
I’m in the same camp as Jim. I wouldn’t hold my breath for Photoshop 3.0. It’s a pretty complete image editing program as it is and for those who want an upgrade, Photoshop CS is probably the step up that Adobe would like us to make. (And btw, I received an upgrade offer from Adobe for Photoshop Elements, $299. Anyone else? Not a lot of time to think about it.)

I just don’t think they’re going to upgrade Photoshop Elements simply based on the routine that that’s what software creators do. Of course this is all speculation on my part and Photoshop Elements 3 could be announced tomorrow. I’ve just got my doubts about it.

Has anyone noticed how many books there are on Photoshop Elements listed on Amazon.com?
R
RobertHJones
Aug 18, 2004
Mark,

Has anyone noticed how many books there are on Photoshop Elements listed
on Amazon.com?

More to the point, have you noticed how many those are specifically about "Photoshop Elements X" and which will be released starting in September of this year? I’ve been "scouting" the territory for some time looking for clues and the list has been growing. Last time I looked, I think I saw ten books being released from September through December.

Richard Lynch has a new Hidden Powers of Photoshop Element X book scheduled for December, and Mikkel Aaland has his Elements X book due out early October. And, the ones with Editorial Reviews all talk about covering the NEW features.

Make no mistake. A new version is in the works and it will be here soon. Now as to those NEW features to be added (maybe some deleted? Hope not!) we’ll just have to wait — but apparently not too much longer …

As for Photoshop CS, its target audience is still the professional. Adobe realizes very well that they are not going to get the casual and amateur market to shell out for the professional product. Especially given the inexpensive competitive products. I do wish Adobe would contact me with a $299 upgrade offer that I qualify for though.

Bob
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 18, 2004
I do wish Adobe would contact me with a $299 upgrade offer that I qualify for though.

I didn’t see any restrictions in the mail other than you be an elements owner, so i’m posting it. If adobe has a complaint, mods, please remove…

dave milbut "WOW! Elements users can now get a full version of PS CS for $299 direct from Adobe" 8/17/04 6:19pm </cgi-bin/webx?50>
R
RobertHJones
Aug 18, 2004
Dave,

That sounds like a great offer. The text says the coupon code is unique. I wonder if the code Mark Reibman got in is email is the same as yours. It does sound like the offer code is universal and a good bet regardless. Thanks for the information.

Bob
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 18, 2004
no problem. good luck. as a former elements user (i’m a hobbyist, not a pro), i’d say if you can get ps cs on the cheap, go for it while the gettin’s good! 🙂
MR
Mark_Reibman
Aug 18, 2004
Robert,

If you have a registered copy of Photoshop Elements I would find it difficult to understand why you would not be eligible for an upgrade. Call the 800 number and ask for it. I’m on Adobe’s email list so that’s why I received the offer. I would sincerely hope that they extend the offer to all Photoshop Elements users who wish to upgrade.

Not a bad deal. Nice of them to finally offer to their loyal PSE devotees. But I’m sure the offer is not based on altruistic motives.
SB
Stu_Bloom
Aug 18, 2004
I’m sure the offer is not based on altruistic motives.

How could you say such a thing! 😉

I suspect that the imminent release of PSE X has a great deal to do with it.

If you were Adobe, would you rather have $299 in revenue from an existing PSE 1/2 user upgrading to PSCS, or the pittance that is certain to be the upgrade price from PSE 1/2 to PSE X?

Think there’s anything significant about the fact that the offer ends September 5 and there is at least one PSE X book on Amazon with a publication date of September 8?
R
RobertHJones
Aug 18, 2004
Mark,

I do have a registered copy of Photoshop Elements 2.0, I bought the retail boxed package. Funny, I’m on their mailing list too but while I’ve received other offers from time to time, that wasn’t one of them.

I do hope the offer extends to all Elements owners. The wording of the offer is a little ambiguous. It refers to a unique coupon number but then it gives an offer number to be used with qualified Elements serial numbers. Whatever "qualified" means. Guess the only way to find out is to call them.

I have to agree with Stu. There’s something interesting going on with the timing.

Actually, I could easily see getting both CS and Elements "X" if the feature set is good enough. Elements has always had some nifty features not in the big brother product. Some of which, actually made the move to Photoshop later. For example, Photomerge was in Elements before it was in CS, likewise the red eye brush (in CS renamed the Color Replacement Tool which is what I’ve always used it for). It will be interesting to see what they came up with.

Bob
MR
Mark_Reibman
Aug 18, 2004
Stu,

I like your theory, or explanation. Without being in on market sessions at Adobe I’d say it’s very plausible.

I’ve got feeling that I’m also going to buy both CS and X. I’m hooked. Pull me in. 🙂
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 18, 2004
can someone who got the mail also check the codes in the link i provided to see if they’re the same? there’s still some question on if they’re user unique or if they’re going to be the same for all elements users.
MR
Mark_Reibman
Aug 18, 2004
Dave,

I checked my numbers against those in the link and the numbers are different.
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 18, 2004
yea, that’s my 2nd confirmation of that. i’ve asked the mods in the ps win forum to lock down the thread and remove my codes. sorry guys, if i got anyone’s hopes up. i tried! 🙁

cheers, dave
J
jhjl1
Aug 18, 2004
With PSP 9 adding quite a few new features including a raw converter and a noise removal filter that is the equal of any on the market and the fact that it cost not much more than Elements and has a feature set close to CS one would think Adobe would have no choice but to add some needed features in Elements.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
wrote in message
Les,
be a little unrealistic for us who expect Adobe to keep adding new valuable features to a program that isn’t giving them the return that Photoshop is.
RH
Ron Hunter
Aug 19, 2004
wrote:

I’ve had my Photoshop Elements 1.0.1 for two years now, & have gotten my money’s worth out of it – And then some. Plus, I’ve run into a few problems recently that I hadn’t before doing the same things. So, what’s the recommendation? I think for the sheer time that I’ve had it & the version that it is – Those should be enough reasons right there. And it does seem that Adobe mostly just gives a lot of recipes, instead of actual application code updates to download. Further, there doesn’t seem to be an upgrade for PE for those of us who already have purchased a previous version. This of course means that one would have to pay full price for it – As if they’d never bought it before. Hey, I don’t mind paying full price. I can get Elements 2 plus Photoshop Album for $69.99 after the $30 rebate. I would think that surely there would be less bugs & more enhancements than my old one – And then I wouldn’t have to bother you guys as much! Anyway, a penny for your thoughts!
I bought PSE2.0 for $52.87 at Sam’s Club. If there isn’t one in your area, you can order it online, I believe. Of course you will have to pay shipping.
LT
Les_Thurmond
Aug 19, 2004
I just went to the links that Bert gave concerning the Photoshop CS Upgrade. I wanted to find out more about the details of the offer. I still had some questions about it, so I decided to call the Adobe store. The salesman could not tell me for sure whether or Adobe is coming out with a version 3 for Elements. But he said that it was about time for one to come out, and that it was definitely not unreasonable at all for Adobe to put some more enhancements like Photoshop has. Anyway, I’m glad I called, because I got the impression from reading the info about the $299 that it included the whole suite – Which is not true. He said that you only get Photoshop – Not also Illustrator, Acrobat 6, etc. The CS on the title throws you a bit, because the S does stand for Suite. But I’m not surprised, because if it were true, it would be the deal of a lifetime. Just getting Photoshop to me for that price is terrific in it’s own right. But I think that I’m going to wait a while before deciding. We’ve got until next February anyway. A lot can happen between now and then. The salesman also said that if one is not going to spend a lot of time using Photoshop CS, then you would only just scratch the surface of it. It’s that deep! But hey, I’m spending so much time now just on Elements that I could justify buying it, and making it another one of my toys! Oh, one more thing – I thought it rather odd that I could enter any combination of numbers into the proof of ownership field when adding Photoshop CS to the cart when I was doing a trial run, and it would accept any numbers I put, and go on to the next page. The salesman said that was odd, but when you buy – As long as you do have a legitimate S/N – Don’t worry about it. Anyway, Thanks Bert.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections