Posted By
Alan_Nicol
Mar 14, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi

I’m new here so hope this hasn’t been answered before – I couldn’t find anything in search

I’m trying to put some jpgs (which I have edited in PS4 extended with my Mac), onto a memory stick and SD Ultra card to show on a Sony Bravia E4500 via the usb input.

The original files show on the Sony and they play beautifully – BUT now there is a duplicate set of files – same name – but with the prefix "._" These files won’t play, thus making a slideshow virtually impossible. These duplicate files show up on a different brand of LCD as well so I doubt it’s a Sony problem.

Unedited Camera files from the Nikon or Lumix cards directly copied to the memory stick don’t exhibit this problem – neither do files from images downloaded with iPhoto and copied straight to the stick – yet if I open these files in PS and save to stick I get a duplicate set of files.

The files that don’t have a problem don’t have thumbnails when viewed on the stick menu

Files downloaded with Nikon software do produce duplicates without any PS editing.

So I’m thinking PS is adding something on Saving – like thumbnail info (or Nikon software – Capture or View)

I have tried saving the photos in PS without thumbnails but I still get the sane problem.

I have searched for these hidden files on the Mac and Memory stick using Houdini but couln’t find them.

A PC cannot see these files either – only the LCD TVs

Sony Help couldn’t help, neither could Apple Help.

I’m going crazy

Thanks

Alan

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

R
Ram
Mar 14, 2009
Alan,

I’m going crazy

Not trying to be flippant here, but it sounds like you’re crazy already. :/ How on earth did you end up with files with the prefix "._"?

…neither could Apple Help.

You mean to tell us that Apple didn’t jump on you for that peculiar nomenclature?

Try doing away with that initial period, and make sure your copies have a an appropriate .jpg extension.
AN
Alan_Nicol
Mar 14, 2009
Thanks Ramon,

That is my question – How did I end up with those extra renamed files on the stick?

I didn’t name/rename/copy them – they only appear on the Bravia’s screen with my original files – but do not appear on the Mac or a PC – even as hidden files with a "." prefix

I would love to get rid of the prefix – if I could find the file

But I would prefer to save them in a way that the Bravia could read

Cheers

Alan
R
Ram
Mar 14, 2009
Ah, sorry. I though you had created them on purpose.

I have no idea what those files are, nor what a Bravia is.

Try EasyFind (freeware), it finds everything, unlike Apple’s pathetic Spotblight. Just make sure you check the include invisible files box.
P
Phosphor
Mar 14, 2009
PS4 extended

No such animal. Do you mean PS CS4 Extended?
AN
Alan_Nicol
Mar 14, 2009
Sorry Ed

yes PS CS4 extended

Alan
NK
Neil_Keller
Mar 14, 2009
I’m trying to put some jpgs (which I have edited in PS4 extended with my Mac), onto a memory stick and SD Ultra card to show on a Sony Bravia E4500 via the usb input.

As I recall, Sony Blu-Ray players and Bravia TVs read PC-formated USB memory. And as I recall, some email file attachments that travel between Mac and PC users also wind up with a similar file duplication, producing small, unreadable files with names preceded by hyphens. I think this has to do with a separation of data and resource forks. Again, details are fuzzy at the moment, but perhaps this triggers some further discussion and a solution.

Neil
I
ian1000rx
Mar 16, 2009
Neil is correct, these are the left-overs of the Mac OS resource fork.

They can be made to show up in a Windows XP if you select Tools then Folder Options… and then go to the View tab. On the list, check the "Show hidden files and folders" option. They can then be deleted.

To stop them being transmitted in emails (which confuses the heck out of some of my Windows-based clients), be sure to check "Send Windows Friendly Attachments" in Mail when attaching the files.

I had always thought that "Save for Web & Devices" would save without a resource fork, but just having tried it (PS CS4 11.0.1), it still seems to…

I believe there are also 3rd party utilites that will strip out resouce fork information from all files in a folder (something like "Resource Dropper")but I’ve not tried any myself.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Mar 16, 2009
Some of us just went over this.

<http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?128@@.59b7bf81>

Your Mac hard drive has these files all over it too. Some systems hide these. Others do not.
SJ
Simon_J.A._Simpson
Mar 17, 2009
Hi Alan.

I believe that the problem you are having is due to the Photoshop (Mac) saved JPEGs having an extra thumbnail preview file which are the duplicate “._” files. This is something that Photoshop (and other some other Mac applications ?) do.

I have had similar problems when sending JPEGs to PC users.

You can save without this extra file by using the ‘Save for Web & Devices…’ command which saves the JPEGs à la PC – without the additional preview file.

Some PCs users will see these extra files, and some will not, depending on whether a preference is turned on or off on in the Control Panel (reveal all files ? – or some such).

I think this will explaining what you are seeing.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections