B
Posted By
bruxist
Jul 4, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have installed PSCS3 successfully on my Win XP Pro SP2 lap top as part of the Design Premium Package Upgrade. It has been working ok for several days. I seem to have picked up an application error, I think after a recent Adobe auto update. Now, on launching PS I get a error window pop-up stating:

Adobe Photoshop CS3: Photoshop.exe – Unable To Locate Component This application has failed to start because AdobeXMPFiles.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

Strangely I am still able to use PSCS3 after closing the error window. I tried a re-install (or rather repair) using the installation DVD but the error still remains.
Does any one know how to clear this error?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

B
bruxist
Jul 5, 2007
Well after some more research today I have come to the conclusion that this may not be a Photoshop error per say, but rather a problem with the auto update(s) that have occurred in the passed two days.
There was first a large update for both Version Cue and Camera Raw, and this was followed by an update to Adobe Reader.
To keep everything in one place I will leave this post under the Photoshop Forum and add to it as I go.

My findings thus far are:
My problem is linked to Adobe Asset Services CS3 and XMP = Extensible Metadata Platform.

The file should be stored at:
c:\program files\common files\adobe\adobe asset services cs3\adobexmpfiles.dll

Adobe Asset Services CS3 3.1.0 update – "This Adobe Asset Services CS3 update is a required component of the Adobe® Version Cue® CS3 Server 3.1.0 update. This update includes important fixes that improve thumbnail generation and XMP handling. If you have version 2.0.0.975 of Bridge installed, download and install this update."

Latest Bridge (2.1) and Version Cue (3.1) were updated via the Adobe Update function. Latest Adobe Reader (8.1) was updated via the Adobe Update function as well soon after.

My Plan:
1) Check if file exists on PC – Execute file search.
2) Could be an Adobe Reader 8.1 update clash – try removing Reader.
3) Could be a Bridge update problem – check version and possibly run repair.
4) Could be a Version Cue problem – check version and possibly run repair.
5) Could be a Camera Raw 4.1 problem – check if it starts up, reload if necessary (See ReadMe for installation details)
5) Adobe Updater could be causing problems – Stop auto updates (if necessary).
B
bruxist
Jul 5, 2007
My findings to above:
1) AdobeXMPFiles.dll does exist at that location! So why can photoshop not find it??
2) Removed AR, made no difference.
3) Bridge is at v2.1.0.100. Will try a repair using the DVD.
4) Reloaded patches for v3.1 (cs3Bridge2_1_patcher_application.exe, cs3VersionCue_asset_services_cs3_310.exe, and version_cue_cs3_client_310.exe) which made no difference.
5) Replaced CR Plug-in (Camera Raw.8bi) which made no difference.
6) I temporarily stopped the auto update.

Additional findings:
If I start PS from the Bridge I do not get the error window, but I still get the error starting PS from the start menu short cut.

I do not know what PS has to do with the Asset Services. I can not find any reference to it nor any settings – strange.
I also think that with CS3 you can no longer remove one single application on its own, the whole suite looks like it would have to be removed but I will have to look further into that as it looks to be my only option unless some else has any ideas?
B
bruxist
Jul 5, 2007
Well I guess I am on my own then..! (Is this really a forum?)

I found that I could remove individual applications from the suite using the installation DVD instead of going via the normal Control Panel Add/Remove programs route.

I removed PS and Version Cue Server. Then reloaded PS only.

My fault has now gone. If necessary I will load VCS at a later date.

Hope this helps others in a similar pickle.
Ciao
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 7, 2007
bruxist,

Well I guess I am on my own then..! (Is this really a forum?)

🙂 I guess it might seem that way at times. Usually when a question or thread goes unanswered for a few days it means no one else (here) has experienced that problem. Thanks for documenting anyway and as you say, hopefully someone someday will wander in with a similar problem, do a search and find your answer.

feel free to stick around and jump in on threads you see that interest you.

cheers, dave

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections