How to Keep Creases in Pants When Coloring B&W?

LT
Posted By
Les_Thurmond
May 28, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,

I know that there’s surely a way using layers to keep the creases and wrinkles in pants & shirts, etc. when coloring B&W clothes with a dark color. Of course, when you lose them, you lose the integrity of it. I’ve tried drawing them in – Using different shades of the same color – & also black. They look halfway decent, but they’re just not as good – Or authentic. Opacity adjustment is probably a key here, but I can’t make it work – So far. Thanks for your help.

Les

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CW
Colin Walls
May 28, 2005
Paint onto a new layer – I think you got that. Set the layer blending mode to "Color" [and try playing with some others]. You may need to reduce opacity too.
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
May 28, 2005
Les,
You may want to download Nagel Series 27 brushes and try these for your project:

< http://www.digitalmediadesigner.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp ?id=30854>

These brushes work in Elements 3. Use them on a blank layer as Colin has suggested. Try blending mode in color, soft light, etc.

Ken
MS
Mark_Sand
May 29, 2005
Les,
Blending Mode of Overlay also works well for what you are trying to do.
LT
Les_Thurmond
May 29, 2005
Will do, Colin – Ken, Just dragged Nagel Series 27 file into PE’s preset brushes folder – About to try "Blending Mode of Overlay", Mark – Will keep you guys posted – Thanks So Much!

Les
LT
Les_Thurmond
May 29, 2005
Mark,
Your suggestion of using the Overlay Mode is just the ticket! I’ve spent a lot of time on layers – And learned an awful lot using them. But after all this time, I had not yet learned this really useful tool. Heretofore, I was not able to take advantage of utilizing certain skin & hair tones – like "ColorPals", which I downloaded some time ago. But when I used them on faces, all of the facial features – wrinkles et al – were truncated away. So, I used the also the very effective "New Adjustment Layer\Gradient Map" procedure for the flesh tones (Thanks to my two Professors in Photo Studies 101, Wendy & Jodi – To whom I am greatly indebted). Those I will keep as is. I spent too much time to change them now. Anyway, they are quite acceptable. But this gives another very good option. So, now I will not only be able to use "ColorPals", but also my new Nagel Series 27. (Hope they work in the Windows environment).

I am very blessed & honored to be a member here – My thanks to all.

Les

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections