S
Posted By
silverbelle
May 31, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have the same problem with PE 3 as I had with PE 2 on March 31, but have received no messages regarding this. Does anyone have an idea of what to do when you get a disk error when trying to save a photo. I have a G4 iMac running OS 10.3.9. I have 1 GHz power and 768 MB Ram Thanks for any help.

Sylvia Burnside

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

BB
Barbara_Brundage
May 31, 2005
How much free disk space, Sylvia?
S
silverbelle
May 31, 2005
Thanks for your reply. I have 59.72 GB available.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
May 31, 2005
What–exactly–is the error message you are getting?
S
silverbelle
May 31, 2005
The message just says "Could not save as (title) because of a disk error." This is maddening because I need to save some photos in different forms for genealogy. This one happens to be a black and white TIF.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
May 31, 2005
Does this happen for all files, or only this one?
S
silverbelle
May 31, 2005
This is happening with any photo, and in any form, it seems in "Save As." I haven’t scanned a new photo in to see if I can save it in regular "save" form.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
May 31, 2005
Try creating a new blank file in PE. Can you save that?
S
silverbelle
May 31, 2005
That doesn’t work either. "Save" is grayed out. Only "Save As" is available. Should this be a condition? Wouldn’t you use "Save" first and then use only "Save As" if you wanted to change the title or format?
BB
Barbara_Brundage
May 31, 2005
Well, you’ll always have Save As on an initial save, because the Save As dialog box is where you name the file and specify the format. You always have to give any program that information on the first save.
NJ
Neil_Jorgensen
May 31, 2005
What format is your photo? Could it be a RAW file? RAW files must be converted to some other format to be saved.
S
silverbelle
May 31, 2005
The originally scanned photo I saved as a TIF, then, since it was too small to see comfortably, I enlarged it to page size (8×10) to print out, but when I went to save the changes, and a name change, I was unable to do that because of the disk error. I also did a "picture package" using that photo. Since that time, I haven’t been able to save any photos in PE3, regardless of form. I was able to send a photo to PE3 from Preview and to put it in a PE3 file, but when I opened it in PE3, as before, I couldn’t save it. I also have just scanned in a new picture, but couldn’t save that one either (TIF).
TM
Tom Murray 1
May 31, 2005
What happens when you completely shut down PSE3 then start it up again?
BB
Barbara_Brundage
May 31, 2005
Sylvia, go to Image > Mode and see what your color mode is. I’m wondering if somehow you got into Index color, which Tiff doesn’t support. Have you deleted preferences?

In your case I wouldn’t use the keystrokes, but quit PE, then go to your user/library/preferences folder and delete the PE preferences folder and com.adobe. Photoshop.Elements.plist.
S
silverbelle
May 31, 2005
I don’t know which of these suggestions worked, but I’m back in business again. The color for the original TIF was grayscale, so that was o.k. I then deleted the preferences folder and the PE plist. I then restarted the computer and when I opened PE 3 everything seemed to work o.k.

Thanks so much for all your help.

Sylvia
BB
Barbara_Brundage
May 31, 2005
Glad you got it sorted out.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections