NW
Posted By
No Way
May 14, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Does anyone have a trick to share regarding using the lasso tool to select a complex area in a photo? I’m trying to select the foreground subject and apply a gaussian blur to the background. Every time I start the selection process around my subject, I can’t seem to maintain precise control over outlining the border. The selected areas often depart from the edges I’m trying to trace and I don’t see a way to adjust specific points without having to start the process all over again.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

M
MCC
May 14, 2006
On Sun, 14 May 2006 11:21:55 -0400, Ric wrote:

Does anyone have a trick to share regarding using the lasso tool to select a complex area in a photo? I’m trying to select the foreground subject and apply a gaussian blur to the background. Every time I start the selection process around my subject, I can’t seem to maintain precise control over outlining the border. The selected areas often depart from the edges I’m trying to trace and I don’t see a way to adjust specific points without having to start the process all over again.

What I do is increase the contrast as high as I can and then use the *magnetic* lasso tool – this helps to distinguish the object being selected. Once I’ve made the selection I re-set the contrast and carry on as normal.

MCC
M
MyVeryOwnSelf
May 14, 2006

Instead of starting all over, you can modify the selection. Among the lasso-tool choice buttons are these four:
New selection
Add to selection
Subtract from selection
Intersect selection

You can start a new selection with one tool and add/subtract/intersect using a different selection tool.

Also, look up "defringe" in PSE4’s built-in Help for a feature that might help.
H
HiJack
May 14, 2006
Also, remember you can save your selections. that can really help if for some reason you lose your work.

Jack

On Sun, 14 May 2006 14:40:33 -0500, MyVeryOwnSelf
wrote:

Instead of starting all over, you can modify the selection. Among the lasso-tool choice buttons are these four:
New selection
Add to selection
Subtract from selection
Intersect selection

You can start a new selection with one tool and add/subtract/intersect using a different selection tool.

Also, look up "defringe" in PSE4’s built-in Help for a feature that might help.
L
luk
May 14, 2006
MCC wrote:
On Sun, 14 May 2006 11:21:55 -0400, Ric wrote:

What I do is increase the contrast as high as I can and then use the *magnetic* lasso tool – this helps to distinguish the object being selected. Once I’ve made the selection I re-set the contrast and carry on as normal.

I find it helpful to set the magnetic lasso at
10 pixels. Also when mistakes are made, the
delete key will get you back to a spot of your
choosing.

Luk
S
sam
May 17, 2006
increase magnification to 500% and you can see easier

"Ric" wrote in message
C
chris
May 17, 2006
Also, note that if you start to go off your course you can use the backspace key to undo the last anchor point – you can keep repeating this. It took me a while to pick up on this little but essential trick.

Cheers

Chris

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections