TS
Posted By
Thomas Schmidt
Oct 28, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
After installing PSE 5 (PSE 4 is already installed) on Win XP SP2, PSE 5 converts my existing catalogue to a new version and saves the old catalogue as "my catalogue-1.psa". PSE 5 is working fine with my old catalogue, now called "my catalogue.psa".

After closing PSE 5 I start PSE 4 and want to open "my catalogue-1.psa". But I cannot open the file but read this message: "You are not allowed to open this catalogue. Chose another one…"

So I de-installed PSE 5 and renamed "my catalogue-1.psa" to "my catalogue.psa".

But the same error occurs again.

What can I do? Thanks in advance for any hints.

Thomas

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

J
JasonB
Oct 29, 2006
Thomas Schmidt wrote:
After installing PSE 5 (PSE 4 is already installed) on Win XP SP2, PSE 5 converts my existing catalogue to a new version and saves the old catalogue as "my catalogue-1.psa". PSE 5 is working fine with my old catalogue, now called "my catalogue.psa".

After closing PSE 5 I start PSE 4 and want to open "my catalogue-1.psa". But I cannot open the file but read this message: "You are not allowed to open this catalogue. Chose another one…"

So I de-installed PSE 5 and renamed "my catalogue-1.psa" to "my catalogue.psa".

But the same error occurs again.

What can I do? Thanks in advance for any hints.

Thomas

When you install a new version of Elements it usually upgrades the Catalog file automatically and creates a new file that it uses from that point forward. In your case the file associated with Elements 5 is "my catalogue-1.psa". This file is not always supported by previous versions of Elements as you’ve found

The good news is that your previous catalog file should still be available though, so if you try looking for a file called "my catalogue.psa", i.e. the original file catalog created with Elements 4 it should still exist and will work fine with Elements 4.

Maintaining to catalogs in this way though could lead to confusion. Why do you want to re-open the Elements 4 catalog? Are you unhappy with Elements 5? Decided not to use it?

Regards,

JasonB

To reply replace NoSpam4me with blueyonder
TS
Thomas Schmidt
Oct 29, 2006
Am Sun, 29 Oct 2006 17:53:13 GMT schrieb JasonB:

When you install a new version of Elements it usually upgrades the Catalog file automatically and creates a new file that it uses from that point forward. In your case the file associated with Elements 5 is "my catalogue-1.psa". This file is not always supported by previous versions of Elements as you’ve found

No. PSE upgrades the file my catalogue.psa to a newer version which is only supported by PSE 5. But it makes a backup called my catalogue-1.psa. And this file is to be opened with Elements 4.

The good news is that your previous catalog file should still be available though, so if you try looking for a file called "my catalogue.psa", i.e. the original file catalog created with Elements 4 it should still exist and will work fine with Elements 4.

Yes, it is called my catalogue-1.psa. But when I want to open it in PSE 4 i get the massage "You are not allowed". When I try to open "my catalogue.psa" I get the message: this file is built whith a newer version. You cannot open it in PSE 4.

Maintaining to catalogs in this way though could lead to confusion. Why do you want to re-open the Elements 4 catalog? Are you unhappy with Elements 5? Decided not to use it?

I did not yet decide to upgrade. Just bought PSE 4 two weeks ago and don’t want to spend mor money at this time.

After de-installing an re-installing PSE 5 I cannot continue the trial mode (although there 28 days left). I can only pay for a serial number oder shut down the programm.

With PSE 5 I wantet to try this: Save again the older version of my catalogue (called catalogue-1.psa) an then try to re-open it in elements 4.

Bu I could help myself in thsi way:

De-install both: Elements 5 and 4, Clean alle folders in "documents and settings/adobe/pho…./catalogues", clean the windows registry from all elements of "elements" and reinstall elements 4.

Now I can open my old catalogue.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Ciao, Thomas
V
V1nc3nt
Oct 29, 2006
Yes, it is called my catalogue-1.psa. But when I want to open it in PSE 4 i
get the massage "You are not allowed". When I try to open "my catalogue.psa" I get the message: this file is built whith a newer version.
You cannot open it in PSE 4.

I trust you have done a search in other folders for such a file, right? Sounds like something Microsoft would do to be sure one buys an upgrade after trying a 30 day demo.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections