O
Posted By
Odysseus
May 12, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My first question is on behalf of a co-worker. Her Photoshop v6 (running under Mac OS 9) refused to open a certain customer-supplied TIFF today; the error message said there wasn’t enough RAM. She is able to open various other images, including some that are very much larger. Her system has 768 MB of RAM, and increasing Photoshop’s memory partition made no difference. Moreover, another system running Photoshop v5.5 had no trouble at all opening the document, which is just a business-card-sized greyscale image at 300 ppi, uncompressed. Her own system’s PictureViewer had no problem either. Any ideas as to what would cause this error?

My second question is regarding the new anti-counterfeiting feature. Some time ago I scanned some banknotes (into v5.5); they’re to be part of an illustration for a book cover. My client has permission from the Bank of Canada to reproduce the notes, as they’re cropped by a circle & ‘defaced’ by other graphic elements, and of course will only be printed on one side. Today I received a request for the image in a suitable format for my client’s Web site. Since I was in OS X at the time I tried to open the EPSF that had been placed on the book cover (which includes less than half of the note, and rotated by 18° at that) with Photoshop v8, but it refused, just putting up a dialog that referred me to a Web page on currency security. I can open my original scans, which I’d saved in Photoshop format with adjustment layers, but the background layers containing the images show up as locked, with no evident means for unlocking them. Strangely enough, one document that *did* open, with no difficulty or locks, was a similar partial image of a new U.S. $20 bill (centred on the green Treasury seal and showing the entire serial number)!

At any rate, is there some way of bypassing the security features, perhaps by downsampling or otherwise ‘degrading’ the images so they are still recognizable but couldn’t be mistaken for the real thing? I even have a copy of the e-mail from the Bank of Canada authorizing the use, but somehow I don’t think it will mean anything to Photoshop … 😉

At the moment it’s no problem to switch back to the older version to work on these documents, but I don’t plan on running OS 9 for ever …

Thanks in advance for any advice you may be able to offer on either of these issues.

Odysseus

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

J
john
May 12, 2004
In article ,
Odysseus wrote:

(can’t’ help with the first question)

My second question is regarding the new anti-counterfeiting feature. Some time ago I scanned some banknotes (into v5.5); they’re to be part of an illustration for a book cover. My client has permission from the Bank of Canada to reproduce the notes,

Ask the Bank of Canada for images. They have them. See:
http://www.bank-banque-canada.ca/en/banknotes/general/charac ter/1986.htm

Later money images have an added watermark. Can’t be any uglier than what you are doing to the images.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections