K
Posted By
Ken1606
Sep 25, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I hope this is the appropriate forum for such a question. If not, maybe someone will recommend another forum. I have PS7 and have been ‘volunteered’ to take over 100 team pictures at a charity golf tournament this Saturday. The Photoshop pro at my office has always done this fun job but he’s out and I get to do it. This will involve taking and printing 100+ photos over 4 hours and having 400+ photos ready to hand out after the rounds. We have always had an ‘overlay’ in red letters placed in the clouds above a team’s heads with a small text box including:
5th Annual Charity Golf Open
September 27, 2003
Tumbleweeds Golf Course – City, St

We have, I believe, set this up as a layer and put it over each picture just before printing. Many players are very complimentary of our donation of time and supplies and we enjoy doing it. Until this year! I looked at last year’s pictures and they are saved without the overlay (pardon if this a misuse of the term overlay). I took one of last year’s pictures and got this year’s text on the picture as desired. It is on a layer and printed correctly.

1. How can I "separate" this text layer and/or save it so that it can be applied over every picture for the day? I would also like to have the text always center horizontally in the picture area.

2. Also For some reason, every time I click on the picture that is the background, I get a new blank layer that I must delete. These new layers, sometimes several of them don’t show up anywhere except that they are just in the way.

3. Lastly, we would like some shortcut to automatically apply ‘Auto Levels, Auto Contrast and Auto Color’ settings to every picture when it first comes up in Photoshop or just before printing. Sometimes over the last year’s we have missed a setting or two and the pictures are not consistent.

Thanks for any help. Ken

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 25, 2003
Okay. Two birds with one stone – I don’t know what you mean about the blank layers, so hunt that dog last.

You create an action – a set of recorded events, you can read about them in the help file, but here’s what you do.

You are going to record an action that does everything you want, including saving the file on a dummy image, then when you are ready, you can apply that action to a boatload of images at once, either files stored on the HD, or open files – batch processing.

Open a dummy image. In the actions palette at the bottom, click on New Action (not new set). Name the action Auto Adjust and Save. Perform your adjustments (Auto whatever);

Next you will enter the text you want once, and it will be recorded in your action. Click on the text tool. Type the text that you want to appear using the fonts and sizes you like – don’t worry about position. Okay your text entry in the options bar at the top. Press Ctrl-A to select All. Use the menu and choose Layer|Align to selection|Horizontal Center, then again, Layer|Align to selection|Bottom. (optionally nudge the text up with your arrow keys for perfect placement).

Finally, save the file as a Tiff using File|Save AS and choose your tiff options and your directory and filename. Stop recording.

Look at the action you just created. Find the Save As step. Make sure the dialog is toggled to OFF (that’s the little square next to the action name).

Close your image.

Now, File|Automate|Batch, and the batch dialog opens.

Action to run: Adjust and Save
Source: Folder or open images, depending on your golf outing – whether you want to open the images first, or perform the action on a folder (I’d recommend the latter).

Choose: Pick the folder containing the images.

Destination: Folder
Choose: Pick a new place where the images will be saved to IMPORTANT – Check the box that says Override Save As Information

Optionally choose a naming convention.

When you hit Go. Each image will open, one by one, and all of those steps will be performed, then saved and closed while you drink your beer. When they are done, you can simply drag-n-drop them into photoshop and print away.
K
Ken1606
Sep 25, 2003
Thanks for the great process description! Sounds like I might need a beer or two just to get through the Actions Setup. Will try this tomorrow with some of last year’s pictures. Hadn’t thought about a batch print job as well as the batch process to change the sizes and color adjustments. Thanks again, Ken
K
Ken1606
Sep 25, 2003
I started with your steps and was doing fine until I got to the Use the Menu and "Layer/ Align to selection, etc". Never found these options?? Maybe it’s too late to be doing this? Thanks, Ken
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 25, 2003
If you are on your text layer, after having confirmed it, do Ctrl-A to select all. Then you are able to use the Layer|Align To Selection|Horizontal Center, and then Bottom Edges. If you don’t Select All first, or are not on your text layer, the menu item may not be available.
K
Ken1606
Sep 25, 2003
Sorry for the "Lame User" inability to find the options. Following your directions worked great at my office this morning. I still have a little problem with your suggestions to "nudge the text up a little". When I do "Top Edges" under Align To Selection, it puts my text too close to the top edge. I just inserted a "return" above my text and it’s OK but surely there’s a way to adjust the spacing from the edge without undoing all of this other good work. Also found out that unlike other programs I use, I don’t have to draw a text box before puting the text on the picture. Would a text box help in any way with what I’m trying to do? Thanks, Ken
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 25, 2003
Ken,

Sorry for the "Lame User" inability to find the options.

Don’t be. Totally cool.

but surely there’s a way to adjust the spacing from the edge without undoing all of this other good work.

After you accept your text in the options bar, then use your arrow keys to nudge – you’re still recording so it will include the nudge values.

Would a text box help in any way with what I’m trying to do?

Not really. Drawing a text box in PS allows for wrapping of text. I’m not great with all the variations on the theme. I usually type my text and use the Enter key to start a new line.
K
Ken1606
Sep 26, 2003
Thanks All! I’ve moved everything to my notebook and will do a real dry run with a dozen of last years pictures tomorrow. Recording the "Actions" has made the Image Sizing, Image Adjustments and Text insertion a real breeze. Since they’ve moved the charity tournament to a new course this year, I might not be able to pre-position the "sky" just right for my text so I’m going to wait until I can go to the course tomorrow and see how the pictures might lay out. Anyway, everything is centered, the fonts, colors and text are consistent and the board members are very happy! Above all, the weather is predicted to be perfect… Thanks again, Ken Davis
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 26, 2003
Glad it seems to be working. Good luck!
K
Ken1606
Sep 26, 2003
Thanks All! I’ve moved everything to my notebook and will do a real dry run with a dozen of last years pictures tomorrow. Recording the "Actions" has made the Image Sizing, Image Adjustments and Text insertion a real breeze. Since they’ve moved the charity tournament to a new course this year, I might not be able to pre-position the "sky" just right for my text so I’m going to wait until I can go to the course tomorrow and see how the pictures might lay out. Anyway, everything is centered, the fonts, colors and text are consistent and the board members are very happy! Above all, the weather is predicted to be perfect… Thanks again, Ken Davis
BL
Bill Lamp
Sep 26, 2003
Ken1606,

DON’T MOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

COPY instead!

Bill
M
mp
Sep 26, 2003
Sounds like you need to learn about actions. Go to photoshop help for details on that.
I can help with one and three. 1
Open an image Start recording an action. place your text where you like it. and stop recording. You can also record an action for your auto fix and in the actions flyout you will find action options there you can choose a keyboard shortcut.
Sorry no idea on number two.

Bigcat

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 17:57:03 -0700, Ken1606
wrote:

I hope this is the appropriate forum for such a question. If not, maybe someone will recommend another forum. I have PS7 and have been ‘volunteered’ to take over 100 team pictures at a charity golf tournament this Saturday. The Photoshop pro at my office has always done this fun job but he’s out and I get to do it. This will involve taking and printing 100+ photos over 4 hours and having 400+ photos ready to hand out after the rounds. We have always had an ‘overlay’ in red letters placed in the clouds above a team’s heads with a small text box including:
5th Annual Charity Golf Open
September 27, 2003
Tumbleweeds Golf Course – City, St

We have, I believe, set this up as a layer and put it over each picture just before printing. Many players are very complimentary of our donation of time and supplies and we enjoy doing it. Until this year! I looked at last year’s pictures and they are saved without the overlay (pardon if this a misuse of the term overlay). I took one of last year’s pictures and got this year’s text on the picture as desired. It is on a layer and printed correctly.

1. How can I "separate" this text layer and/or save it so that it can be applied over every picture for the day? I would also like to have the text always center horizontally in the picture area.

2. Also For some reason, every time I click on the picture that is the background, I get a new blank layer that I must delete. These new layers, sometimes several of them don’t show up anywhere except that they are just in the way.

3. Lastly, we would like some shortcut to automatically apply ‘Auto Levels, Auto Contrast and Auto Color’ settings to every picture when it first comes up in Photoshop or just before printing. Sometimes over the last year’s we have missed a setting or two and the pictures are not consistent.

Thanks for any help. Ken

____________________________________________________________ ___________________ Posted Via Uncensored-News.Com – Accounts Starting At $6.95 – http://www.uncensored-news.com <><><><><><><> The Worlds Uncensored News Source <><><><><><><><>
K
Ken1606
Sep 26, 2003

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups πŸ”₯

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections