Posted By
howldog
Nov 14, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hey there.

Another question about this hi rez pdf thing.

Lets say i do some vector art in Illustrator and save as eps and place in Quark.

Normally, the vector art is sort of resolution independent, isnt it? I mean, it is output via the imagesetter, at whatever resolution the imagesetter is set at? Or am i incorrect?

point is, i always thought vector art was "output" at a very high resolution, 2400 or whatever.

If I use hi rez pdf to the imagesetter, will it retain the very high line art resolution?

What will happen to a vector art EPS if i select the downsample to 300 menu pull-down? Will it downsample the vector art output to 300?

thanks

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

W
WharfRat
Nov 15, 2003
in article , howldog at
wrote on 11/14/03 7:20 AM:

Hey there.

Lets say i do some vector art in Illustrator and save as eps and place in Quark.

Normally, the vector art is sort of resolution independent, isnt it? I mean, it is output via the imagesetter, at whatever resolution the imagesetter is set at? Or am i incorrect?

point is, i always thought vector art was "output" at a very high resolution, 2400 or whatever.

If I use hi rez pdf to the imagesetter, will it retain the very high line art resolution?

What will happen to a vector art EPS if i select the downsample to 300 menu pull-down? Will it downsample the vector art output to 300?

thanks
You do need to set a resolution when you create a document in Illustrator. That is why your "Document Setup" has:
Artboard
Printing and Export
Transparency
You should learn all about setting that stuff.

The resolution is for the flatness of the vector lines -(not flattening) which will produce "smoothness" depending on the setting and the output device.
You can get really jaggy, bitmap looking images from incorrect settings.

Yes – the vector art should output high rez. (PDF or .eps) The downsample should effect bitmap files.

MSD
EG
Eric Gill
Nov 15, 2003
howldog wrote in
news::

Hey there.

Normally, the vector art is sort of resolution independent, isnt it?

Always.

I
mean, it is output via the imagesetter, at whatever resolution the imagesetter is set at? Or am i incorrect?

No, you’re right.

Correct.

No. You cannot "downsample" a vector any more than you can tune a fish.

Those settings apply only to something with pixels in it.

On the occasional you want to produce a low-rez version, say for a comping proof when you don’t trust someone, you must distill the file then rasterize it at low-rez in Photoshop.
H
howldog
Nov 17, 2003
On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 00:34:54 GMT, Eric Gill
wrote:

No. You cannot "downsample" a vector any more than you can tune a fish.
Those settings apply only to something with pixels in it.

that is all i needed to know, thank you.

i didnt see how it could downsample a vector image, but i wanted to make sure.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections