H
Posted By
Hargold
Apr 7, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
am considering purchase of this printer to complement cs2 program. anyone have any feedback for this model?

thanks

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

B
bmoag
Apr 7, 2006
I consider the 1280, now a very old design but still being manufactured by Epson, to be the "gold standard" for ink jet photo printing. This model has been out for several years and other than changing the outside plastic case Epson has not otherwise issued anything new and improved. If you are not going to pursue color management then you will not appreciate what this printer is capable of and may actually find it frustratingly unforgiving of image processing errors.
The 1800.2400 are pigment based printers that have a slightly different gamut. Having used both the 1280 and the 1800 I would not say one is better than the other. If you like to print on glossy paper there is an advantage to using the 1280 as it does not require a separate glossy cartridge to achieve a great effect on glossy papers.
There are other issues to distinguish ink and pigment based printers but that is up to your to pursue.
If you have not used Epson printers before and use color management I believe you will find that the canned profiles Epson provides for its many paper surfaces are very good and are actually a major reason to use Epson printers.
The however: head clogging can be an issue. Turn the printer off between uses. Learn to use the nozzle check/clean utility appropriately.
K
KatWoman
Apr 8, 2006
"bmoag" wrote in message
I consider the 1280, now a very old design but still being manufactured by Epson, to be the "gold standard" for ink jet photo printing. This model has been out for several years and other than changing the outside plastic case Epson has not otherwise issued anything new and improved. If you are not going to pursue color management then you will not appreciate what this printer is capable of and may actually find it frustratingly unforgiving of image processing errors.
The 1800.2400 are pigment based printers that have a slightly different gamut. Having used both the 1280 and the 1800 I would not say one is better than the other. If you like to print on glossy paper there is an advantage to using the 1280 as it does not require a separate glossy cartridge to achieve a great effect on glossy papers.
There are other issues to distinguish ink and pigment based printers but that is up to your to pursue.
If you have not used Epson printers before and use color management I believe you will find that the canned profiles Epson provides for its many paper surfaces are very good and are actually a major reason to use Epson printers.
The however: head clogging can be an issue. Turn the printer off between uses. Learn to use the nozzle check/clean utility appropriately.
still have my 1270 works great, good drivers, excellent quality prints in size I need (my doesn’t do borderless, the 1280 I think does) have not noticed any fade in colors etc on prints 5 years old inks are harder to find now it’s an old model
but I got a good source it you need it
pay attention to above advice don’t put the good paper in till you do the nozzle check especially if you don’t print for a day or two sometimes have to make 2-3 prints to get it right due to splatters or dust/hairs
colors look like what’s on the screen once you get it set right I had an Epson before (Stylus pro) and it was also very good for it’s time, once had a problem Epson had local repair available, excellent service dept relations

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections