GS
Posted By
gregory_sgambato
May 27, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Ok. Can someone tell why when using a spot color swatch within Photoshop’s (7.0 – mac) Pantone Uncoated Swatch Library the color converts to cmyk when placed into Quark 4.1 (mac).

I have a logo that I created within Photoshop that contains two colors (Black used for shading & emboss effect) & (PMS 1505 U Orange – used for body of the logo) I have tried saving the file as a TIFF & EPS with the same results.

I know if you convert the logo to grayscale that that Quark will allow you to convert the image to a spot color. This method will not work for me since I have two colors. Besides the grayscale method will only give me a screen of the image color as opposed to 100% use of the PMS colors.

I have searched other photoshop forums and have found mixed reviews that this is possible at all. Any help or direction would be great

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

MO
Mike_Ornellas
May 27, 2004
Ok. Can someone tell why when using a spot color swatch within Photoshop’s (7.0 – mac) Pantone Uncoated Swatch Library the color converts to cmyk when placed into Quark 4.1 (mac).

are you creating a spot color channel?
B
Buko
May 27, 2004
save as DCS2 for spotcolors.

do yourself a favor leave the "Quark Ages" behind get InDesign.
GS
gregory_sgambato
May 27, 2004
I tried saving the file as DCS2 from Photoshop 7.0 and the file still doesn’t color separate correctly. I tried placing the image in both Quark 4.1 as well as Indesign 2.0 (mac) and had the same results. File color separating in CMYK.

Is there something i’m missing when I save the file as DCS2.0? Save as>format>Photoshop DSC 2.0
I see there is an option for spot color in the save dialog box, however its greyed out therefore I able unable to check the spot color box.

By the way…Indesign is great.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
May 27, 2004
answer the question user.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 27, 2004
<< are you creating a spot color channel? >>
GS
gregory_sgambato
May 27, 2004
No I did not create a spot color channel. How do you create a spot color channel? Can someone walk me through the whole process of using spot colors & spot channels in photoshop. Also, saving a file as a DCS 2.0 when placed into Indesign the image appears to be low res.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 27, 2004
Basically:
In your Channels palette.
Click the icon for a new channel.
Double-click on that channel and choose Spot color; double-click on the colored square and select a color.
Copy/Paste parts of image that are to be spot color into that channel and fill that part of the image with white in the other channels.
Attend to trapping.
Save as a DCS2.

BUT read-up on this whole subject or you are going to drown in shark-infested waters.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 27, 2004
If you have InDesign2 (but you were originally asking about Quark!) you needn’t bother with the DCS2: a .psd or Photoshop PDF saved with Spot channels will do instead.
Make sure that Separations Preview in InD is checked to show Separations or you won’t see your spot color.
JK
John_Kallios
May 27, 2004
InDesign 2 only supports Photoshop PDF files with spot color. (screen display issue requires overprint preview to be turned on and output ONLY as InRip separations)

It will not support a psd with spot channels.

The CS applications offer far greater support for spot raster data from Photoshop.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 27, 2004
John:

Using Photoshop CS: if you save a PSD file that contains a spot color (and check to include that spot color);
and then Place that file in InD CS;
the Spot color is definitely added to the InDesign swatch palette and is visible in the image (provided that "Separations" are checked in the Separations palette).

If you then Export that InD file to PDF, your spot color plate is included.

[This may not have worked with versions earlier than CS?]
JK
John_Kallios
May 27, 2004
If you have InDesign2

CS does support this. Version 2 does not.

I just wanted to clarify that the added support that CS offers is not in 2.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 27, 2004
Thank you John.

I should have checked this on "Version 2" for him.

Best advice: Get CS!
GS
gregory_sgambato
Jun 1, 2004
Ann,

Setting up a spot color channels worked fine. However I am uncertain about a few things. First, should my image or graphic only be found within the channels palette and not within a layer? I found that if I used the same color within layers it converts to cmyk. Second, I creating a circle using the circle marquee tool and then filling the selection with spot 1505 U within the created 1505 U channel. I would like to then take the circle I created and apply the emboss effect with a black shadow. Third, only the PDF version of the files works when viewing the graphic within Indesign.

This is what I’m trying to recreate using PMS 1505 U & Black. CU_Logo.tif

Thanks,
Greg
RG
Rene_Garneau
Jun 1, 2004
This is what I’m trying to recreate using PMS 1505 U & Black. CU_Logo.tif

Your link didn’t work.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 1, 2004
<< should my image or graphic only be found within the channels palette and not within a layer? >>

If you want an object to be filled with a spot color, you must fill it, using shades (percentages) of Black in the correct spot color Channel. If you just fill a shape in a Layer, it will be rendered in RGB or CMYK.

Re: << only the PDF version of the files works when viewing the graphic within Indesign >>

As John told you in Message #9:
<< InDesign 2 only supports Photoshop PDF files with spot color. (screen display issue requires overprint preview to be turned on and output ONLY as InRip separations) It will not support a psd with spot channels.>>
So, if you want to use a .psd file to take Spot Colors into InDesign, you need to upgrade to InDesign CS. Actually you need to upgrade to InDesign CS for a whole bunch of other reasons too.

To use an effect on a channel:
You will need to Duplicate that channel to a new layer.
Set the Fill of that layer to zero percent.
Then add the Effect.

You need to Export to PDF from Indesign using Acrobat 5 or 6 compatibility.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections