PW
Posted By
philip_watson
Jun 25, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Can Somebody from the adobe team please look into this feature for the next update of photoshop? I would like to be able to shift- select multiple layers and be able to move them to a set or whatever, link them, lock them, whatever. I just find it such an utter waste of time to be clicking on each individual layer that i may want to link or move each time.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

P
Phosphor
Jun 25, 2004
"I would like to be able to shift- select multiple layers…"

You do know that you can just click-n-drag down through the "link" column of contiguous layers to link them, right?

The linked layers indicator column is the second from the left in the LAyers Palette. With one layer selected, that column shows a paintbrush icon, indicating that it is active. With Layers linked, if you see ONE padlock icon over to the right side of the layer, ALL linked layers are locked.

If the layers you want to multiply select are NOT contiguous (i.e.: sitting right on top of each other in layer order) in the Layers Palette, you CAN Shift + click on the link column to add them to your multi-layer selection.

You’re either not reading the manual thoroughly enough, or not experimenting as freely as you should be with the application.

Want you want to do is already available.
DK
Doug_Katz
Jun 25, 2004
No need to use shift key… just click non-contiguous layers’ link box to link them.
P
Phosphor
Jun 25, 2004
Yeah, you’re right Doug.

I was up past my bedtime when I wrote that.
M
merge
Jun 25, 2004
I can’t speak for Phillip, but I don’t think that is what he was asking: whether or not you can move the images by locking the layers together, but why you can’t move the layers themselves en masse as you can in Illustrator. A simple shift-click in Illustrator and you can move 2, 3, 10 layers at a time and reorganize as is necessary or put them in a new folder in one efficient fell swoop.

"You’re either not reading the manual thoroughly enough, or not experimenting as freely as you should be with the application."

Hmm…
I have been working in Ps since 2 and have yet to sort out how to re-shuffle more than one layer at a time in the layers palette. Linking them doesn’t help me move them all together in the layers palette. I look forward to reading what I have missed.
H
Hexebah
Jun 25, 2004
Use layer sets – Link the layers for a particular set and with one of the layers selected choose New Set from linked from the Layers fly-out menu to place the linked files into a new set.

If you really want to move layers around quickly the learn the shortcut keys.

CMD [ to drop the selected layer down the stack one level CMD ] to raise the selected layer up one level in the stack.

Option [ to select the next layer below the selected one Option ] to select the next layer above the selected one

There are more… I just can’t think of them…

Just a suggestion
M
merge
Jun 25, 2004
"New Set from linked from the Layers fly-out menu to place the linked files into a new set."

That does work well for what I needed – I guess I better start digging around a bit more. I even searched it out and that option goes back to Ps6 – I feel the fool now. Thanks.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections