Posted By
Lautaro_Gonda
Jul 23, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

L
LRK
Jul 23, 2004
Cut back on the spending…

No, really… please tell us more… Do you have enough disk space? Are you trying to save to a remote server? What else has happened that might have led up to this?
LG
Lautaro_Gonda
Jul 23, 2004
I’ve been working for hours on a magazine ad and I have to submit it today, but every time I try to save it says "Couldn’t save *** due to a disk error". I’ve tried Save, Save As…, taking a snapshot from the history and saving that, but it just won’t work

I’m on a PowerBook 15" 1.5GHz 1.25GB RAM, running 10.3.4 and Photoshop CS
LG
Lautaro_Gonda
Jul 23, 2004
Oops! Looks like this got posted before I wrote the message, please check here <http://www.adobeforums.com/Photoshop%20Macintosh/11068>
L
LRK
Jul 23, 2004
Have you checked to make sure you have plenty of disk space Lautaro? Are you networked to a remote server by any chance?
LG
Lautaro_Gonda
Jul 23, 2004
29.12 GB Available, so that’s probably not it. I’m saving locally.

This is freaking me out, because normally I’d restart when something like this happens but if I do that I’ll lose all my work. Ack!
L
LRK
Jul 23, 2004
Can you plug in an External Hard Drive or even a Compact Flash Card in order to try saving to it?
LG
Lautaro_Gonda
Jul 23, 2004
Actually, saving to a remote server worked. Rather ironic, no? I just saved it there and transferred it back and all is peachy.

Thanks!
L
LRK
Jul 23, 2004
I’m so glad you were able to save it Lautaro. Maybe now would be a good time to reboot and run Permissions.
P
Phosphor
Jul 23, 2004
Boot and run Disk Utility from your optical drive and check that everything is OK on your hard drive(s).
B
Buko
Jul 23, 2004
Are permissions set so you can save??
R
Ram
Jul 23, 2004
Do you by any chance have any non-UNIX character(s) in the name of anything in the path (file, folder, drive)? Something like «El disco de Láutaro» would do it. 🙂 If so, stick to using only numbers and the letters of the English alphabet.
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 23, 2004
A disk error also means that you should check the integrity of your hard drive. It could be a formatting issue, a directory structure issue, a permissions issue, or the drive or its connections could be flaky.

Just so I understand…you will work for hours and do not ANY saves?

If the work is important, I develop a Command-S twitch with my left hand. I could be saving every few minutes — or even after a few seconds when it makes sense. And then I do a Save as… to another drive — just in case. I mean, what happens if your area loses power? Or you spill coffee on the keyboard? Or the battery dies? Or the cat pulls out the plug?

RULE OF THUMB NO. 1: Never let any job go unsaved for any period longer than you care to spend redoing it.

Never.

Neil
L
LRK
Jul 24, 2004
<< RULE OF THUMB NO. 1: Never let any job go unsaved for any period longer than you care to spend redoing it. >> Amen and amen!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections