A
Posted By
AlanBrownOne
Aug 29, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I create a layered Photoshop file and use Effects, after saving and closing the file and then trying to reopen it, I get the following error message:

"Could not commplete your request because of program error"

If I flatten the file and save it, I have no problem. It doesn’t appear to be affected whether it is an 8-bit or 16-bit image or not. The file size doesn”t appear to matter. The only commonality is the use of an effect on a layer. All it takes is one effect, too, as opposed to needing multiple effects to cause the problem.

Certainly there must be someone else out there that has experienced this problem (I didn’t find any posts on any of the forums–although I could have missed it). Any suggestions? These files currently are useless and this is a very scary proposition.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

–Alan Brown

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 29, 2004
How long is it since you Repaired Permissions or ran Cocktail?
A
AlanBrownOne
Aug 30, 2004
It hasn’t been all that long ago, but, what the heck, I did it this evening including deleting launch service caches which is like a rebuild of the desktop. Problem still occurs.

–Alan
GB
g_ballard
Aug 30, 2004
best I know is to open in PS 7.01 — check the fonts…
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 30, 2004
A bad font could well be the problem.

Are you applying the effects to a Type layer?
A
AlanBrownOne
Aug 30, 2004
In three different files, the effects were applied to a non-type layer.

–Alan
B
Buko
Aug 30, 2004
Bad RAM??
A
AlanBrownOne
Aug 30, 2004
I don’t think it is a RAM issue. The problem only occurs with Photoshop unflattened files that have Effects on layers. Any other type of Photoshop file, no matter what size, has no problems being opened or worked on.
A
AlanBrownOne
Aug 30, 2004
I just tried a test where I was able to open in ImageReady the files that wouldn’t open in Photoshop. I could see all of the layers and nothing had changed from where I had originally left it in Photoshop. I then Saved As in ImageReady and still couldn’t open in Photoshop–same error message. I then did an Export to Photoshop with the same end result. In each case, I went back to ImageReady to see if I could reopen the files and was able to even though Photoshop gave a Program Error message that I displayed at the beginning of this thread.

Can anyone else replicate this on their end?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections