MA
Posted By
Matt_Abrames
May 31, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Why isn’t there raw format plug-in support for Elements like there is for CS?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

SS
Susan_S.
May 31, 2004
Product Differentiation…
MM
Mac_McDougald
May 31, 2004
Something to do with $500 difference in price?

Mac
BB
Barbara_Brundage
May 31, 2004
Well now, be fair. There was no RAW support built into PS 7, either, which is what PE2 is based on. For a while Adobe had a plug-in you could purchase for $99, but they rolled that into PS CS when it came out.

Time alone will tell whether they do the same for the next version of Elements, whenever/if ever that happens, but for now the answer is you need either the manufacturer’s plug-in/program or you may be able to find a third-partyy plug-in for your particular RAW format.
GD
Grant_Dixon
May 31, 2004
Probably because Elements was developed before a raw format was common and CS after.

g.
PA
Patti_Anderson
May 31, 2004
Irfanview (with the added plug-ins) can read just about all RAW image formats now. They added the Olympus .orf with the last update. You could open & save the image in Irfanview and the bring it into Elements.

<http://www.irfanview.com>

It’s a lot cheaper than Photoshop CS. 😉

Patti
CS
Chuck_Snyder
May 31, 2004
Barbara, good morning. I’ve lost track of some of the recent discussions of RAW due to work/travel. Have you been shooting RAW with your A1 and using CS to convert? Happy with CS for that function?

Chuck
CS
Chuck_Snyder
May 31, 2004
Patti, thanks. I didn’t know Irfanview had plug-ins for RAW. I use it as my default viewer for image files, so finding and adding the plug-ins would seem to be the way to go!

Chuck
PA
Patti_Anderson
May 31, 2004
I use Irfanview as my default viewer too. It’s nice to have have something that opens really fast when you just want to view a few pictures or quickly. I use it so much that last year I actually sent Irfan the $10 to register. 😉

Patti
SS
Susan_S.
May 31, 2004
If you are on the Mac then Graphic Converter also does an instant conversion for RAW files – at least for Canon RAW form my G3. And really it isn’t too bad, and is very fast, but as far as I can see doesn’t give any control over the conversion.
For the files from my G3 I like Adobe RAW – it gives a very different default result to what you get from Canon’s software, – slighlty warmer and less contrasty. I actually prefer it to what Canon gives me, but it’s not that hard to set up a default that gives a result closer to what canon thinks the image should look like. What ACR does give is amazing flexibility to bring up shadow detail, rescue (slightly) blown highlights and generally push and prod the pixels around while preserving much more image detail than doing similar operations on a jpeg file.

I liked it so much I bought CS to get it. (As I’m on a Mac and am not using a DSLR, C1 won’t work for me, and I couldn’t find anything else that gives the control over exposure during the conversion process)
Susan S
BB
Barbara_Brundage
May 31, 2004
CS to convert? Happy with CS for that function?

Hi, Chuck. No, I’m not crazy about the way the CS plug-in handles .mrw files. I prefer a third-party plug-in made specially for that format by Dalibor Jelinek, which gives me a choice of several different algorithms.

I much prefer the format of the ACR plug-in. For one thing, Dalibor’s plug-in doesn’t respect file rotation and I lack that Sports Illustrated editorial skill of being able to evaluate an image while looking at it sideways. Thomas Knoll seems to be working on ACR all the time and possibly the next version will eliminate the noise problems I have with it now.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
May 31, 2004
Should have mentioned for anyone else shooting .mrw who isn’t familiar with Dalibor’s work that his plug-in gives nearly all the options you get from ACR except CA (not a big problem really) and he deliberately omitted any sharpening in the converter.
J
jhjl1
May 31, 2004
I have 3 days left on my CS trial and I’m still undecided as if I want to upgrade. The two things I wanted to test were the new RAW converter and the highlight/shadows adjustment. I love the highlight/shadows tool but I find at this point that I get better results from C1/Phase One conversion software for my Canon .crw files.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
wrote in message
Why isn’t there raw format plug-in support for Elements like there is
for CS?
CS
Chuck_Snyder
May 31, 2004
Susan, thanks. As a registered owner of PS7, the cost to upgrade to CS isn’t outrageous. However, I’ve used PS7 very little since I bought it; 90% of what I do can be done just as well in Elements. The ‘killer app’ for me may be Canon RAW conversion, especially as you describe the capabilities. Heaven knows I have enough problems with shadows and highlights…

Chuck
SS
Susan_S.
May 31, 2004
I’d try it first Chuck – C1 has the reputation of being better for Canon RAW, but it won’t talk to my G3 files – only to SLR RAW files, so that might be a better bet for your 10D.

I think 90 per cent of what I do can be done in Elements too; but CS does have some really nice other neat tricks that makes life faster and smoother. But it’s an expensive jump if you don’t have access to an upgrade price or an academic discount.

Susan S
CS
Chuck_Snyder
May 31, 2004
James, thanks. My dilemma continues: Capture One LE for the 10D is $99, upgrade to CS is $169. I can’t/won’t do both. So, for the time being, I’ll probably do neither! Not much time for photos this spring and summer anyway….

Chuck

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections