SL
Posted By
Steve_Last
Jun 27, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I know JPG is a format which loses quality with each save, and that ideally one should use a TIf or similar lossless format until finished working on an image. However I often don’t have the time to do that and also don’t want to create yet another file version I’ll need to keep track of, so for images where I think I will only do a quick cleanup I usually resave as a JPG but at max quality. My question is whether PSE’s JPG options maximum quality (12, large file) actually results in much compression and hence loss of quality? How much loss results from saving it say 10 times at this quality? Looking at two copies of the original image (one saved multiple times at max quality) at 1600 mag. I can’t see much difference.
Steve

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

BB
brent_bertram
Jun 28, 2004
Steve,
There really IS substantial quality loss with continuously editting and saving the same file in the JPG format. My opinion is that the simplest way to avoid it is to immediately make a TIF version and edit only that version of the image. ( I suspect this technique is not "news" to you <G> ). As with most issues, there are "shades of grey" in this argument, since results and satisfaction can vary depending upon the nature of the image itself, and the intended use.
I know of a number of instances where people ( my wife , for one ) have editted images painstakingly , saving in the JPG format, and later been disappointed by the results when it came time to resample for printing . My wife does beautiful edits, but she’ll work on a 300×400 pixel image to perfection, and then find that what’s on the screen can’t be duplicated on paper . My maxim is "don’t throw away real pixels " .

🙂

Brent
BH
Beth_Haney
Jun 28, 2004
Essentially I agree with Brent’s assessment. My view is that there is so little time involved in converting to a TIFF or PSD that it’s negligable in comparison to the time spent editing or printing. However, I’m wondering if you really meant you were resaving an image 10 times. Did you mean you opened the image and closed it 10 times? If so, the only time compression took place was the point at which you opened, edited, and saved the changes. If that’s true, then there would be so little loss of quality that it wouldn’t be noticeable. If you’re editing the same image file ten times, you should make enough time to change to a lossless format.

Each time I download an image from my camera, I immediately make a copy in a lossless format and archive the original. That way there’s only one file I have to worry about.
JH
Jim_Hess
Jun 28, 2004
Steve,
Like you, I have found it very difficult to discern any difference in some of my image is that have been reinstated as JPEG images. However, each time you save that image after editing it, there will be some loss of quality. I suspect no one will be able to tell you how much quality will be lost. If you are satisfied with your results, then I wouldn’t worry about it. This would be especially true if you are just printing or viewing small images. But if you ever discover that one of your images is showing some degradation (i.e. JPEG artifacts, etc.) and you decide that you want to enlarge that image, the flaws will be enlarged as well and you will be extremely disappointed. Yes, I speak from experience.

So I have adopted the practice that many have suggested. As soon as I have made any changes to an image, I use the "Save As" option to save the image either as a TIF or a PSD. It really doesn’t take that much extra time to do this, and you have the added bonus of always being able to load the image that was originally downloaded from your camera. Actually what I do is create a folder within the folder for a group of images, and I save all of my edited work to that sub-folder. I think you’ll find that a little extra precaution is well worth it.
Jim

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections