RH
Posted By
Ray_Hodge
Jul 13, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have scanned two snapshots and have used PhotoShop Elements 2 to create a .psd file for each. One of the images is now 3.1"W x 4.3"H and has a resolution of 147 ppi, and the other is now 3.5 x 4.6 with a resolution of 220 ppi. I want to be able to print an 8.5" x 11" sheet of paper containing those two images side by side in the lower part of the sheet while retaining their current sizes, and I want to put some text into the upper part of the sheet which will describe those two pictures. In addition, I want to be able to send this sheet as one composite file in JPG format as an e-mail attachment and have it look the same when opened at the other end.

I understand that I need to use layers to accomplish this, and I have created them, but I can’t get those two picture files to retain their original sizes when I use them as layers on top of an 8.5 x 11 white background layer. Instead of appearing in their correct size on that 8.5 x 11 background sheet, they fill most or all of it. Can someone please tell me what I should be doing? Thanks in advance for your help.

Additional info;: Windows XP, Gateway PC with 256 MB RAM, HP 930C InkJet printer.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BG
Byron Gale
Jul 14, 2004
Ray,

When you place an image into another, ‘incoming’ image is converted to the ppi of the ‘receiving’ image.

When you created your 8.5×11 document, SOME ppi setting was assigned, whether you chose it or not. The change in image size when you bring your sub-images into the master is because the master has a lower ppi than them.

I suggest that you work with your two images, first, to get them both at the same ppi (you can use Image > Resize > Image Size… to adjust), then create your 8.5×11 with the SAME ppi. Then bring your smaller images in and they should retain their respective proportions.

HTH,

Byron
AW
arlene_woehl
Jul 14, 2004
I love all these help entries. Is there a publication of all of them printed together that one can buy?
S
sunnyway
Jul 14, 2004
There are dozens of online tutorials for Photoshop–do a Google search for "photoshop tutorials". Don’t overlook the manual that came with the program, too.

There are many many excellent third-party books, too. I’m partial to Barry Beckham’s "The Digital Photographer’s Guide to Photoshop Elements", Scott Kelby’s "The Photoshop Element’s Book for Digital Photographers", and Jack Davis’s "The Adobe Photoshop Elements 2 One Click Wow!" that comes with a wonderful CD loaded with add-on Layer Styles, brushes, etc. (You can download free styles, brushes, custom shapes, etc–do another Google search)

You’ll learn a lot by hanging around this forum. Do take a community adult education class for PSE2 if one is offered in your area. PSE2 has a high learning curve, but once you understand the basics, your skills will increase rapidly. Beyond a doubt, layers is the hardest thing to grasp, so don’t feel bad!
RH
Ray_Hodge
Jul 14, 2004
Byron, I will follow your approach and let you know how I make out. Thanks very much.

Ray Hodge
RH
Ray_Hodge
Jul 15, 2004
Byron, using your approach I have now gotten those two pictures onto my 8.5 x 11 sheet in the proper locations and with their correct sizes. Thank you very much! Now I should be able to also get the text onto that page with no problem.

Sunnyway, I appreciate your suggestions also. I can use all the help I can get.

If you or anyone else is interested, I would appreciate it very much to get a critique of the steps that I followed. I could describe that in another post here.

Ray Hodge
BG
Byron Gale
Jul 15, 2004
Ray,

Good going!! …and thanks for letting us know.

Byron

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections