Actions with 3rd party filter (not working)

SE
Posted By
sahne_erneste
Mar 28, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello all! I had tried to post this earlier but it didn’t seem to work. .

Anyhow here is my problem:

I have a sequence of images (time lapse) that I have created an action for as follows:

Resize > (auto)color correction > (auto)tone correction > Alienskin 2 b+w filter

Now, everything works, except the last step, using that particular filter. Everything resizes, gets color corrected, but that last filter wot take. .

Now, is this because it is a 3rd party filter? is there a way to make this step work in the action by re-arranging it? Can i use Apple’s automator to create the action?

Im using CS4 on my school’s Mac computers. . .

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
sahne

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
Buko
Mar 28, 2009
is the filter compatible with the computer?

Why not use Photoshops conversion to grayscale?
CC
Chris_Cox
Mar 28, 2009
And is that filter setup to work with actions?
Have you asked Alien Skin about it?

No, Automator won’t help at all – it can’t see anything about actions.
SE
sahne_erneste
Mar 29, 2009
Thanks for the help everyone!

The filter is compatible with this computer, it worked when I created the action, just not when I run it =) I dont just use photoshops conversions or channel mixing because it doesnt create the desired effect I am looking for . . . It does potentially have the ability, but the action will be enormous by my guess. .

Chris: Not sure if it is setup, I just assumed anything within photoshop had the ability to work with actions, but I guess im wrong on that one!

I haven’t asked AlienSkin and didn’t even think about that! Which is what I will be doing now!

Thanks for your help everyone!

enjoy!
shane
R
Ram
Mar 29, 2009
You obviously haven’t explored the Black and White adjustment in CS4.
CC
Chris_Cox
Mar 29, 2009
Things shipped with Photoshop work with actions (at least we try to make everything work). But you’re using a third party plugin. If the plugin is not written to work with actions, then it won’t work with actions.
R
randalqueen
Mar 29, 2009
Did you run the filter which would not work, or did you INSERT the menu item which with Alien Skin should work?

R
SG
steve_guilhamet
Mar 31, 2009
Hi,

Just to revisit this, the problem is that when the plug-in is set to return a new layer it fails. What you need to do is check ‘Disable Output to New ayer’ in the Alien Skin dialog.

If you want to mimic output to a new layer, include a ‘Duplicate Layer’ command in the action just before calling the 3rd party plug-in.

thx,
steve

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections